Windows system 32/cmd.exe problem

eysha1 10:53 03 Jan 15

Every time I switch on my Toshiba laptop running win 8.1 I get a small box appearing with the above heading and a black screen inside the box - it only lasts for 2-3 seconds and goes off screen. However, what then happens is I cannot connect to the internet, instead I get a message saying 'Proxy server cannot connect' -or similar wording, sorry I have forgotten exact words now. Initially since I had no idea how to fix it and it being the holidays I did a restore point but that didn't really work as it is still happening and now the only way to get on the internet is to run CCleaner, once done I can then get onto the internet. I haven't installed anything new or changed anything on the laptop. How do I correct this problem and why is it happening? Very many thanks for any help. E.

northumbria61 11:03 03 Jan 15

Take a look in Microsoft Community

northumbria61 11:15 03 Jan 15

If you are able to connect after running CCleaner then it appears the fault is in a program that starts when you switch your laptop on. Take a look under the heading Tools in CCleaner and then Startup and disable all that you don't need at startup - just leave your Anti-Virus to run at startup.

You could then re-enable each program you have one at a time and you may then be able to find the culprit.

You could also use the Registry tool in CCleaner to scan for any issues - it is quite safe to do so. It is always a good idea to check for updates to CCleaner on a regular basis.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 11:48 03 Jan 15

Yes sounds as if you have a nasty thats attempted to change your internet settings at boot.

scan for virus and malware (ADWCleaner) plus check your startups in CCleaner and disable if not sure ask here first (the beauty of disable is you can re enable if something doesn't work as it should.

eysha1 16:38 03 Jan 15

Many thanks, will look at start up. Have done registry clean in ccleaner and it takes ages and finds a ton of entries which I delete. What is ADW cleaner Fruit Bat?

northumbria61 17:09 03 Jan 15
  eysha1 18:17 03 Jan 15

I have now stopped all programmes in ccleaner start up apart from malwarebytes, windows defender and ccleaner.

Running malewarebytes I found a lot of pup.optionalSpigotA - Rocket TabA- Search Extension A and My Emotions A - ALL PUP.

Ia ther a way to stop PUP and what is it?

Also my daughter bought me AVG for Christmas, will it interfere with the three progs I have listed above? Thanks E.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18:48 03 Jan 15

PUP Potentially Unwanted Program what is often refered to as "Crapware" many tool bars and addons fall into this category.

ADWcleaner is excellent at getting rid of this stuff.

AVG will work PK with malwarebytes and defender and CCleaner.

eysha1 19:24 03 Jan 15

after following all instructions and reporting back as above I switched the laptop off for a while. when I switched it on again I couldn't get back on the internet - all it said was PROXY SERVER ISN'T RESPONDING. I had to do a system restore again.

is this a separate problem or are the two connected and if so how and how do I fix it? I cannot switch off again or I won't get back on tonight so will leave it on until around 10pm.

I guess since I have done a restore all the PUP files will be back too. Thanks E.

rdave13 19:42 03 Jan 15

If you open Internet Explorer and click on the tools icon then internet options, connections, lan settings then untick 'use a proxy server....', tick automatically detect settings, ok, apply. This after you've removed the rubbish.

Run rkill first (Rkill, ) do not reboot, run malwarebytes if you have it then Adwcleaner and you'll have to reboot at this point.

If you get the same message on reboot then disable proxy server as above.

eysha1 15:46 04 Jan 15

Laptop seems to be running ok now. Have told my daughter to put on kill and adwcleaner on her laptop too. Many thanks for all the help and fingers crossed. E.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Here's what should be coming to Adobe Project Felix in 2017

Best iMovie for Mac tips 2017 | How to edit video with iMovie: 26 brilliant video editing tricks…