windows system 32 XP home wont boot

kspatto 18:49 27 Nov 06

Hi
windows homeXP wont boot receiving a message
\windows\system32\config\system is missing or corrupt
have booted to the recovery console with a copy of XP pro and installed the missing files but even after it asks to overwrite yes\no\all and says the file has been copied it still doesnt come up with the command cd\windows\system32\drivers(have followed the instruction set from microsoft knowledge base but cant see the files to rename them old )
is there an easier way to copy these files over or can I instal xp on the other hard drive in my PC(I have two installed)and boot from that to recover my files

thanks

VoG II 18:55 27 Nov 06

Have you done this? click here

kspatto 19:40 27 Nov 06

no the original operating system is oem am using the full disc from the PC I am on now which is XP pro
have tried the copy commands in the recovery console to no avail there seems no mention of a workaround for an OEM copy in the microsoft database
may try an instal onto my other hard drive and recover my files in this manner
have you ever tried this\will it work???
thanks

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 20:39 27 Nov 06

At the prompt type

copy c:\windows\repair\system c:\windows system32\config

when it says overwrite click Y

then type exit and see if XP will reboot.

Unfortunately this usually means you will need to reinstall all your updates.

kspatto 22:01 27 Nov 06

tried a dual boot and managed to save all my files that way then i tried to copy the system32 files from xp pro to xp home and now i get cant check xp registration details but I can open in safe mode so am now in the process of system restore which has been at it for about 20 min already just messing about now as I am happy to do a full reinstal now my docs are backed up thanks for all your help I will keep these tips handy you never know when you may need them
(one bad thing though OEM what a waste of disc space all the info is there so why cant you use it)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation technologies coming to Siggraph 2017

iPad Pro 12.9 vs Surface Pro 5