Windows swap file

Ebonytiger 18:12 26 Jan 03

I read somewhere that you can configure the Windows swap file to improve the PC's performance but am unsure of what figures to use. I have 256mb of memory so what should I put as maximum and minimum, also just what sort of improvement should I expect? Thanks in advance for any help received.

Elrond 18:18 26 Jan 03

I think its usually suggested to be 1.5 times your RAM and the same amount in both the MIN and MAX boxes

Forum Editor 18:20 26 Jan 03

that you have plenty of hard disk space, configure your swap file so that the maximum and minimum figures are the same - 1 Gigabyte. If you are short of drive space don't do it.

Don't expect to see a radical improvement in speed, unless you work with big files, and had noticed that the hard drive was churning away trying to move data from RAM into virtual memory. My guess is that you didn't have this problem, and therefore you'll notice very little difference.

CoolCat 18:37 26 Jan 03

If you have one, place the swap file on a seperate HD. Always use a fixed amount. Like FE said, if you do not experience poor performance, then there is no need to specifiy a large swap file. I generally configure 2.5 times the amount of RAM you have, even though M$ recommends 1.5 times. 1 GB is usually set for servers (unless your 1.5/2.5 calculation works out to be that). It is far better to have a large amount of physical RAM than only relying on virtual.

flecc 19:12 26 Jan 03

There's two views on this. The swap file is slower than RAM so restricting it's use can also be beneficial.

With your 256 mb of RAM, try using Conservative Swapfile Usage. To do that in Windows 98/98SE, click Start, Run, type: sysedit and press Enter. Now select the SYSTEM.INI page. Scroll down to the [386Enh] section, and at the foot of it's entries, add this line:-

ConservativeSwapfileUsage=1

exactly as shown. Make sure you leave a space between that and the [NonWindowsApp] section.

Now click File, Save, and close the System Configuration Editor. If you find that on your particular computer there is no improvement, you can just delete that line.

The opposite course is to increase it's use as the FE has said, and anotyher way to do that under better management than in Windows is to use Cacheman, free from:-

click here

Once installed, select Preset and choose Windows 98, Average System. On the Options Tab, select Free Physical Memory in the dialogue box and check all four checkboxes on the right.

Closing the main window then leaves the numerical value of free memory showing in the Systray by the clock.

This gets you up and running with it. You can fine tune as you gain experience, but you should find your memory problems solved.

Switcher 19:29 26 Jan 03

Set your virtual memory to 400MB.

First disable Vitual memory.

Stop PC and restart then defrag then set Virtual Memory to 400MB.

If you are really keen then after you defrag you can fill up your hard disk as much as possible with folders containing data such as your windows CD then set your virtual memory to 400MB.

Then delete all the extra data and defrag again.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sniper Elite 4 review: Headshotting Nazis has never felt so good

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Fresh New Fonts of 2017

WWDC 2017 dates: How to get WWDC 2017 tickets, when is WWDC 2017 and more details announced