Windows Startup Animation...Going no further :(

GibsonSt19 20:28 11 Dec 03

Hiya, recently my 'puter's been locking up resulting in me having to restart it.

Occasionaly, the boot process goes fine until I get to the Windows XP Professional loading screen, with the moving blue progress bar. The progress bar keeps moving, but Windows doesn't load.

Any ideas?

MichelleC 08:40 12 Dec 03

Boot into safemode and see if there's any yellows in device manager. If not see if you can get to command prompt and type sfc /scannow and pop in os disc.

GibsonSt19 13:03 12 Dec 03

I'll report back if it happens again...

GibsonSt19 13:00 14 Dec 03

This time I restarted my computer only to be confronted with a message which said something about my 'puter being unable to find autochk.exe, then it reboots, does the same thing, and the cycle continues.

Any ideas guys? I could REALLY do with being able to get into Windows to back up a heap of stuff.

Ta

Big Elf 13:03 14 Dec 03

Although intended for Win 2000 this link may help click here

GibsonSt19 13:10 14 Dec 03

just swapping PC's and will report back :)

Sparks 14:07 14 Dec 03

You could click here and also have a look at any related links.

GibsonSt19 14:17 14 Dec 03

However the advice is for those who are able to boot into Windows, whicih I can't. Does anyone know how to add a value into the Registry from the Recovery Console?

GibsonSt19 16:02 14 Dec 03

Using a BootCD, after installing my SCSI/SATA/RAID type drivers, I can view the listings of my drive so I reckon the data's still there (phew!).

Still when trying to get into windows I get a screen which says "autochk programe not found - skipping autochk2, and then my PC restarts and does the same.

How can I either point the PC in the right direction for the autochk.exe, or have it skipped ans have it allow me into Windows?

Any ideas?

Also, when in some form of DOS mode through this BootCD I have, I need to change directories to f:\Documents and settings

I can change to any directory with less than one word with no probs, like f:\WINDOWS etc, but don't know how to get into the Documents and Settings Folder, any clues?

Thanks guys, your help is worth a lot

Big Elf 17:26 14 Dec 03

The suggestion in my link was to press F8 to get the boot menu then select 'Last Known Good Configuration' from the options. Did you try that?

GibsonSt19 17:34 14 Dec 03

Unfortunately, it does exactly the same thing. Also the Safe Mode option does the same too. I don't want to cry, but I think I'm gonna :'(

I just need someway of bypassing the autochk, but have no idea how. Also, when I use the WinXP CD, and boot to the Recovery Console, it allows me to do a chkdsk /p, but won't get further than 50% on a chkdsk /r.

I need as many ideas as poss please

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is ransomware and how do I protect my PC from WannaCry?

What I learned from my mentor, Oscar-winning VFX supervisor Phil Tippett

Siri vs Google Assistant