Windows starts to load but then stops.

jon 19:19 27 Feb 03

I installed Windows 98SE on a PC with AMDK6II processor, SIS SY5SSM Motherboard and 96MB of RAM. This was a clean install from a formatted 6GB harddisk. I previously had Windows 95B loaded.
The PC ran smoothly for a while and then had problems shutting down which I thought might have been caused by Anti-virus software.
When I chose shut down from the start menu it would sometimes hang. I uninstalled the Norton Anti Virus software and installed AVG 6.0 instead. After I did this the PC shut down normally.
In January I installed a Philips CD burner with Nero software version 5.5.9.8. The PC did not have any difficulties starting or shutting down for about a week and then after a week on start-up it would hang. I have never received any error messages.
When this happens I have to press the re-set button and start the PC in safe mode. From safe mode I shut the PC down, wait approx 30secs and then re-start the PC. Most of the time Windows will load.
I am not sure whether this is a harddisk problem or is a Windows issue. I anyone out there has encountered similar problems I would like to hear from you.

Lone Crow 20:19 27 Feb 03

I have had similar problems in the past but cannot remember exactly what the cause was, other than to say that Windows was trying to load something that no longer existed on the system (I think it had something to do with an LS120 drive accelerator program). I used the step-by-step loading facility to load windows one step at a time until it stopped, at which point I could see what it was trying to load and set about curing the problem (I think I had to reload the device software and then uninstal it again to get rid of the unwanted residues from the first uninstal). As your PC is starting up, just after the BIOS has loaded, press the F8 key to interrupt the windows loading process (if it doesn't work you've pressed too late - experiment until you get it). You should get a dialogue box come up offering a choice of 4 loading options - normal, safe mode, step-by-step, or dos only. Select step-by-step and press enter. Windows will load one step at a time, waiting each time for you to confirm each step by pressing the Y key. If you find a problem, something that tries to load but won't proceed, repeat the whole process again but when you come to that step press the N key to by-pass the loading of that item and see if windows boots normally. I can't tell you what to do to correct any problem you find, but at least you'll be on the right track. Of course, it could be something completely different, but it's worth a try! Good luck. LC.

jon 14:32 28 Feb 03

Thanks very much LC I will try all this later today. I will let you know how I get on.

Stuartli 16:07 28 Feb 03

See this thread on the subject:

click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…