Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…
been asked to look at a pc that runs on windows xp. Apparently when they turn it on the screen displays the windows xp start up page and then goes black again and repeats will not boot up.
I did a complete restore on this pc about 2 months ago because it had virus problems. Could it be to do with that.
I'm thiking I should try and start up in safe mode and see if it tells me anything.
Any ideas would be appreciated.
Thanks that sounds great.
Any ideas why it would do this, they are bound to ask
My mates PC threw a spoony fit because he tried to install new modem drivers on a VERY full 20Gb HDD. He brought it round and we removed loads of spyware and old programs he doesn't use and he went away a happy lad.
just went to see pc, did last known configuration no joy. Wouldn't start in ant of the three safe mode options.
Put in windows xp disc and pressed repair came to black screen about recovery console with c:/ only thing it said was to type exit to exit and re start but still wasn't working. Got the feeling I should have put in a command?
Tried to open in BIOS but it needed a password, tried to leave blank but wouldn't let me in. Any ideas?
Lady just needs some files out of my documnets then I can restore pc but without opening in safe mode I don't know how to get files.
Repair XP by install over the top of existing systm
1. Boot the computer using the XP CD. You may need to change the boot order in the system BIOS so the CD boots before the hard drive. Check your system documentation for steps to access the BIOS and change the boot order.
2. When you see the "Welcome To Setup" screen, you will see This portion of the Setup program prepares Microsoft Windows XP to run on your computer:
To setup Windows XP now, press ENTER.
To repair a Windows XP installation using Recovery Console, press R.
To quit Setup without installing Windows XP, press F3.
3. Press Enter to start the Windows Setup.
To setup Windows XP now and Repair Install , press ENTER.
DO NOT choose "To repair a Windows XP installation using the Recovery Console, press R", (you Do Not want to load Recovery Console).
4. Accept the License Agreement and Windows will search for existing Windows installations.
5. Select the XP installation you want to repair from the list and press R to start the repair.
6. Setup will copy the necessary files to the hard drive and reboot.
Do not press any key to boot from CD when the message appears.
Setup will continue as if it were doing a clean install, but your applications and settings will remain intact.
If all else fails, take the HDD out of that PC and put it in another as a slave to retrieve any important data.
Tried to do the windows repair as sent to me by Fruitbat. The drive is partitioned and it comes to a part where it says I will lose data. Any way around this?
Also I am trying to copy the files from the hard drive using dos commands. When i do c/ dir is says error in enumeration. chkdsc doesn't seem to run.
I want to just copy my docs into a drive but do not know command for my documents any ideas?
This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.