Windows start and exit sounds don't work

malw 15:52 28 Feb 04

I've recently upgraded from 98SE to XP Pro and all is well so far. However, I've noticed that the start and exit sounds no longer play (though I'm not totally sure this has happened since the upgrdade). I have tried all the sound schemes on my system and although the sounds for menus, opening windows, log-on, log-off etc work OK, the opening and closing sounds don't work on any of them. The sounds all play when selected in the Sounds and Audio devices option in Control Panel, and I have CD audio etc. I've checked all the sound options in the volume control and none are muted.
Is there anything that can be done to get the sounds back, as I find I miss them now they are gone!!

anon1 16:39 28 Feb 04

start control panel sounds "start windows" and make sure the sound you want is there same applies for "exit windows". Maybe you have got mixed up with windows log on and logg off

malw 23:54 28 Feb 04

Thanks for the suggestion, but the sounds are all there and play when I select them individually in the Sounds and Audio Devices Properties box. I know the log on and log off sounds are different to the start and exit Windows sounds, and they do play when I log off/on, but the Windows sounds don't play on startup or exit. I have read about this problem before in this or another forum but cannot remember if there was a solution posted.

Mal

gudgulf 01:03 29 Feb 04

Try right clicking the speaker icon on the taskbar and opening the volume controls--make sure that "wave" is not muted.

malw 11:48 29 Feb 04

None of the items in Volume Control are muted. I think I've tried all the obvious solutions but to no avail. I have a second installation of XP Pro on my system (on a separate drive) and the sounds work fine in that. I have just noticed that in my main C: drive installation of XP I can no longer capture sound using my capture card (DC10+) and Studio 8, but this works in my second XP installation. What has happened here? Any further help would be greatly appreciated.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…