windows spyware infection on laptop

dinglewolves 21:29 26 Mar 08

Hi guys, you've been really helpful in the past and now i need to pick your brains again!

On my taskbar at the bottom of my screen I have a red circle with a white "x" which keeps popping up a balloon every few minutes. the message on it reads,

"Your computer is infected!
Windows has detected spyware infection!
It is recommended to use special antispyware tools to pervent (sic) data loss. windows will now download and install the most up-to-date antispyware for you.

click here to protect your computer from spyware!"

i'm guessing its not genuine due to the overuse of excalamtion marks and dodgy spelling....

i have just installed norton 360 hoping it would pick it up and get rid of the pesky thing but its still there!!! can anyone help me to be rid of this?

kind Regards

mand :)

ACOLYTE 21:31 26 Mar 08

Is this what you have?

click here

dinglewolves 21:34 26 Mar 08

not quite, the pop up looks like a genuine windows notice.... i sm not very pc literate so all this system stuff is confusing !!

RobCharles1981 21:45 26 Mar 08

Why did you purchase Norton 360 for where you can get the free alternatives?? A waste of £50 If I say so.

This is what I use:

Avast Antivirus
Comodo Firewall

Sbybot Search and Distroy
A-Aquared
Super Antispyware
Spyware Blaster (As A Blocker)
Spyware Terminator (Real Time Protection)

All of which can be downloaded from click here

dinglewolves 21:48 26 Mar 08

ever heard the saying bolting the door after the horse has bolted....... :)

ACOLYTE 21:49 26 Mar 08

Does it say anything about spyaxe?

Mort105 21:50 26 Mar 08

I have SuperAntiSpyware, and I'm thinking of removing this and going with Spyware Terminator.

I've heard having more than one installed can be a security risk, but I'm not sure how true this is.

If anyone has an opinion on which free antispyware is best or if having multiple spyware installed can cause issues could you please let me know.

Cheers.

dinglewolves 21:50 26 Mar 08

nope, just exactly as i have written it above, ina cream coloured official windowsy bubble

skidzy 21:52 26 Mar 08

Run the SmitFraudFix click here follow the instructions to the letter.

Best to print them off as you will need the instructions in safemode.

You must follow the guidelines.

ACOLYTE 21:52 26 Mar 08

Try this click here

download the free version let it update and then run a full scan.

peter99co 21:52 26 Mar 08

You will have to tell dinglewolves how to remove Norton before he can install any other antivirus kit

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Method Studios' title sequence for BBC series Taboo is truly unsettling

Best Pages for iOS tips | How to use Pages for iPad & iPhone: 6 simple tips to get more out of…