Windows SP2 installation problem

Vincent 12:05 20 Nov 04

When I try to download the SP2 update through autoupdate it gets, eventually, to about 40% when I get a warning from Norton Firewall that it is requesting bank details. As recommended I block this, but then the update fails.

I regularly use Adware to check for spy programs, and seem to be clear.

I have received on order the CD, but have heard that this sometimes causes problems if one tries to use it to upgrade Windows. I have the Home Edition.

Any suggestions?

PA28 12:13 20 Nov 04

Don't know about the download messages you are receiving (though they sound iffy). However I have installed SP2 from the CD (cover mount) and there were no problems at all. If you can go this route then you can disable Norton and any other AV whilst you're carrying out the update. Have a look in the SP2 forum.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 12:19 20 Nov 04

The cd should not cause any problems as the program is no different to what you are downloading. Only major upset with SP2 was/is with people(very few) who have a certain combination of CPU and mother board (prescot).

Insert CD, run setup (may auto run anyway) and let it get on with it, takes awhile.

If you have problems after that the forum members have dealt and found cures for all of them. We will still be here.

Dorsai 12:46 20 Nov 04

Though blocking the update when getting bank details is probably the best thing to do, could it be that windows update is requesting some numeric data from your PC, and the number that is being sent, just by chance, happens to match your bank account number. It is only an 8 digit number after all.

As said, the best bet might be off the CD (that has all the files on it). That way the server at MS does not have to interrogate your PC to work out which files to load onto your PC and which not to bother with.

mattyc_92 13:37 20 Nov 04

I ordered the Service Pack 2 on a CD from Microsoft. You don't have to pay ANYTHING. You just type in your name and address and it is delievered to you within 28 days

Vincent 13:38 20 Nov 04

Thanks to three responders. I will use the CD and come back if it all goes wrong!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…