Windows SP2 Candidate 2

Splodge 11:20 30 Jun 04

Anyone thinking of trying the new Windows operating system should be careful. I refer to SP2 Candidate 2.

I downloaded it successfully (100Mb) and installed it.

It made my display very odd which I corrected using my monitor menu.

However, I have Hauppuage WinTv on plus InterVideo Creator plus Showshifter plus InterVideo WINDVR and none of them would display a picture. Nor would my Creative web-cam.

I re-installed the drivers but they still would not run.

I suspect that WinTV deivers, which are not certified under Windows Xp but work, do not do so under the new system.

Abyone who has done so successfully, please let me know if you had to take any steps to make their TV card work. Thanks.

I just used system restore to reverse it and everything worked as normal.

Splodge 11:44 30 Jun 04

I used Google to find this:

click here

€dstowe 12:00 30 Jun 04

One of the pitfalls of trying beta versions (or release candidates) is that they're intended, as it says on the sight you link to, for IT professionals and not the casual user who happens across the sight.

It is almost expected of these programs that they may go wrong - that is the point of issuing them to "people in the know" before releasing them to the genaral public.

There is a contact on the link for reporting anything untoward. Give it a try.

Splodge 12:08 30 Jun 04

Yes I already had everything else installed. And, I installed SP2 Candidate1 on my computer before I had a major crash (not related, a RAM memory module died). That worked fine.

Splodge 12:13 30 Jun 04

Adding to the above, the crash put my computer in a loop, which I could not stop even by re-booting.

In the end I used a floppy disk copy of Secure Erase 8 which deleted the whole partition but left 2nd partition intact. I then re-installed with no trouble once I repaced the memory module.

€dstowe 14:19 30 Jun 04

I apologise for the misuse of "sight" when I meant "site", above. Not like me at all:((

The Spires 14:48 30 Jun 04

I gave it a whirl last week just out of interest, one thing I did find was that it would not uninstall which wasn't a problem to me. But unless you have images of your drive or are installing it on a spare Pc I would hang on until the final is released.

dth 16:16 30 Jun 04

I had a look last week. A bit of a disappointment for such a big download but I assume that there are lots of bits underneath that are not apparant. Got rid of it after a day, as I don't like having Windows Update with an automatic setting, and the nag screen got on my nerves.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…