Windows Sound Recorder

calonlan 11:31 09 Sep 07

Hi
I posted yesterday on the subject of Transferring Cassettes from Tape Recorder to P.C and thanks to all who helped had my problem resolved.
Now I have another slight one. I have never used WS Recirder and this keeps occurring.
I go to FILE and click on NEW, start the tape and press RECORD It appears to record ok but the progress bar goes across at speed and it only records part of the song then switches off. Any ideas please ?
Thanks
calonlan

Diemmess 12:05 09 Sep 07

Windows sound recorder may be better in latest versions but it wasn't much good when I was trying to do what you want to do.

It you feel you are in strange territory (downloading Audacity), don't worry, it is quick, snag free and simple following the prompts.

The only snag I found with Audacity, was to get too excited when editing out needle scratches or long pauses, and forget to "Save Project" at regular intervals.
If you don't save the project regularly, Audacity may crash. Nothing too serious but unsaved stuff is lost and cuss words will follow!

At any stage you can "Export" your file as a .wav or some other formats.

calonlan 12:09 09 Sep 07

Thanks a lot Marg7. I actually downloaded Audacity but haven' so far been able to see how it worked, I didn't realise you can record on it, I just thought it was for editing ( I am very slow on these things ) !!!
I will look at it again in the light of what you say
Thanks again
cal.

calonlan 12:13 09 Sep 07

Thanks also Diemmess I will certainly have a go, it was you who recommended Audacity to me yesterday

calonlan 13:17 09 Sep 07

Thanks Marge7 That is just the sort of thing I need to know at startup of Audacity. What a strange device Windows Recorder must be if it will only record 60 secs of material. I can't think of anything I have that I would want to record for that time, but yes, that is exactly the time I was getting.
For the record ( Sorry ) LOL I am a semi retired (78 years old ) Singer and all my backing tapes are still on Cassette, and I am anxious to put them on CD, so hopefully this will do the trick.
Many thanks.

holme 15:49 09 Sep 07

Did you manage to sort out which was the LINE IN socket? A colleague tried to suss out what the 'grey' socket could be for last night, but says there doesn't seem to be any particular consistency between sound cards of different manufacture, or even the same make. And if our own machines are anything to go by, the "arrow thingy" doesn't seem to be a standard icon either! They don't make it easy for us do they?

calonlan 16:47 09 Sep 07

yOU REALLY ARE WONDERFUL PEOPLE ON HERE, AND SOoooo HELPFUL TOO.THANK YOU HOLME, yES I ASSUMED THAT AS THE YELLOW WAS MIC, THE wHITE OUTPUT TO SPEAKERS AND MONITOR SPEAKER, THEREFORE THE GREY MUST BE LINE IN. WITH TREMBLING HANDS IN CASE IT BLEW UP, I PLUGGED MY OUPUT FOM MY TAPE IN AND VOILA !!! IT WORKED, BUT LAMENTABLY THE RECORDING LASTED 60 SECS, SO I HAVE BITTEN THE BULLET AND DONE WHAT ALL OF YOU LOVELY FOLK ADVISED, AND DOWNLOADED AUDACITY AND YES IT WORKS PERFECTLY. I HAVE JUST FILED MY FIRST TWO SONGS AND SO EASY....WONDERFUL .THANK YOU.
MARG7 YES FANTASTIC ISN'T IT A N D F R E E. I hope your effects and projects work out for you, it is so nice if you can record, like your Mom reading, and your Son with his Guitar music, these are irreplaceable aesthetic things and will be lovely for your Family to treasue, I wish you well with such a wonderful project. Thank you everyone once again for baling me out.
Best Regards.
cal.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild review: Five hours with Zelda on the Nintendo Switch

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…