Windows Shutting Down

AubreyS 18:21 05 Jul 04

Hi All.

I have a friends PC here at the moment which I'm trying to sort out for him I suspect the problem is due to a virus. Its running XP pro freshly installed. NAV 2003. The problem is, one the PC has been on line for a minute or so, a message box comes up saying that it will be shutting down in, Im think in about 30 seconds and proceeds to countdown. I have run the W32 Blaster Worm removal tool, also the FixWelch removal tool as well. All has failed. I cannot get online to download the critical updates or update NAV..

Help, please! Thanks.

VoG II 18:27 05 Jul 04

Start, Run, type

shutdown -a

and click OK. That should stop it from shutting down.

Run Stinger click here

Go to Windows Update and install all critical updates.

AubreyS 19:47 05 Jul 04

Hello VoG.
I hope that you are well and thanks for getting back to me. OK, I managed to stop the PC shutting down and manged to update NAV. I then tried to do the critical updates and I got a message saying that it cannot continiue as the clock was incorrect and I should put it right. Well he clock IS right. Any ideas?

Hello VoG.
I hope that you are well and thanks for getting back to me. OK, I managed to stop the PC shutting down and manged to update NAV. I then tried to do the critical updates and I got a message saying that it cannot continiue as the clock was incorrect and I should put it right. Well he clock IS right. Any ideas?

Hello VoG.

AubreyS 19:48 05 Jul 04

No, I don't have a stutter! :)

VoG II 20:04 05 Jul 04

Are you sure the date is right?

What is the exact message please?

AubreyS 20:18 05 Jul 04

Hi VoG. This is the message that I am getting....

Windows Update has encountered an error. This may be due to a discrepancy in your computer's time setting.

To check your date and time setting:

On the taskbar, double-click the time.
Verify that the date and time is correct.

AubreyS 20:20 05 Jul 04

Yes the date, time and year are correct.

VoG II 20:25 05 Jul 04

SSL settings I think click here

AubreyS 20:39 05 Jul 04

Yes that's the same as I'm getting but in his case, this behaviour started right AFTER the Windows Update client was updated by the Windows Update website. I have not managed to get that far yet. All I have updated is NAV. At the moment, I have changed some of the settings on Stinger and I'm running it again.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

iPhone 7 review: a range of small updates add up to an excellent phone

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How New York’s Stylin’ Seniors became a golden social media campaign

23 Apple Watch tips & secret features: Master your Apple Watch, Apple Watch Series 1 or Apple…