Windows shutdown very slow

Jomi 11:34 22 May 05

I'm using windows xp pro, when I shut down the pc it takes about 10 minutes to finally power off from the 'Saving your settings' display.
I've ran check disk and it said it repaired something (too fast to see what it repaired) but it hasn't changed anything anyway.
I'm using spybot, spyblaster,microsoft anti-spy, adaware,A squared, BHO demon, norton anti-virus and norton firewall, I update these regularly so I don't think it's a virus or spyware.
Any ideas would be appreciated,

thanks.

Jomi 13:15 22 May 05

bump

septic 13:20 22 May 05

Remember It's ok having all these utilities running at start-up, but they need to shut down! If any have been set to or by default check your system on close down, thats a lot of programs lining up to close. Type MSCONFIG at the RUN command and look a your STARUP tag. There may be many programs you have running that you don't need. Getting rid of these will speed up your starup and shut down and in many cases your tasks.

If in doubt post a list of what you have running and forum users may be able to tell you whether you need these running or not. Things such as printer monitors do not really need to be ruuning.

Stuartli 13:32 22 May 05
  Jomi 13:38 22 May 05

Thank you septic,
I already cut the start-up list to a minimum, spybot gives excellent advice on what is and isn't needed at start-up.

The spyware programs set to run at start up are spybot and the microsoft beta spyware, Norton anti-virus and firewall. The others I run occasionally - once a week or so.
There are a total of 11 programs set to start at system start-up, the only one I'm really unsure about is called "dumprep 0-u %sytemroot%\system32\dumprep0-u" without the quotes. Any idea what that is?

thanks.

Jomi 14:13 22 May 05

Thank Stuartli,

The registry change which would alter the pagefile shutdown; would I need this? I have 1gb of ddr pc3200 ram, surely the pagefile useage will be minimal?

Stuartli 14:24 22 May 05

Found a bit more on the subject:

click here

click here

click here

click here

Mine is set to 512MB for all instances (I have 256MB of RAM) which was the suggestion I was given at the time I did it, but this is some time ago and I can't remember just why....:-)

septic 16:09 22 May 05

Jomi the only ref I can find on dumprep 0-u %sytemroot%\system32\dumprep0-u is that is a sys32 thingy to do with your spyware catcher.

Not much tech in there but I hope it helps!!

Jomi 17:49 23 May 05

Thanks for that Stuartli and Septic,
it's much better than it was - not sure what did it exactly but looks like I'll be tinkering with the page file!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…