Windows Shutdown

Jaz1 19:52 09 Mar 06

Hi

Does anyone know why my home made PC shuts down for no reason? I have been using it for a couple of years with no problems, however I have come across a problem: whilst I am watching WMV files and maybe have IE open at the same time the machine just shuts down and then reboots. When I log back in, windows tells me that the machine has recovered from a serious error and gives me an error report.

The numbers in this report dont mean anything to me and wondered if anyone could help?

The spec for my machine is as follows:
XP 2600 (2.03GHz)
2GB RAM
FX5900 GPU
450GB HDD
MSI 6590 MB
Creative Soundblaster Live 5.1
All updated with current drivers and BIOS

PC Bilbo 20:27 09 Mar 06

You have an awful lot of potential load in that spec, wht PSU are you using?

terryf 22:31 09 Mar 06

Try typing the error number into google and see what comes up

Jaz1 18:17 11 Mar 06

Hi

Thanks for the responses, however I didnt log the error number. I also cant see this error log via start,admin tools,event viewer,system?

The PSU is a triple fan 440Watt unit, and this might be causing the problem, although it seems unlikely, but it could be starting to fail?

What do you think? The shut down has happened only once since posting, but no error notice came up.

pifko 00:04 12 Mar 06

Your specs can certainly handle an IE window and WMP open at the same time, so its either down the power supply or a software issue (virus etc, etc)

In the 2 years you have had it, have you regularly formated, defreg'ed?

Also do a quick scan for viruses and other 'nasties' unless you already have done.

I recommend
AVG:
click here Ad aware:
click here
and Ccleaner:
click here

Jaz1 16:23 15 Mar 06

I Have AVG and Microsoft Anti Spyware upto date, I also use CCleaner. Someone stated that my memory might be faulty, and I should run Memtest to determine if it is.

griffon 56 13:58 17 Mar 06

Hi Jaz1, Run 'Hijackthis' available from past PCA cover discs, or Google for it, and submit the log which is produced to a malware forum such as click here or click here PCA's very own.

CCleaner has a button captioned 'Issues'. Pressing it produces a screen with an 'Analyse' button. Press it and it produces a list of possible conflicts and a 'Fix Issues' button. Pressing it produces a box with prompts to clear the conflicts.

There is an online system analyser at click here and two good free ones for download at click here (Highly recommended, tho' it's got the odd name of Everesthome 151) and at click here. These should show up any memory problems. Good luck.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sony Xperia XZ Premium review: Hands-on with the new 4K HDR phone with Motion Eye camera and Snapdr5…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best laptop for design and art 2017: we test Apple, Dell, HP, Lenovo and Microsoft's most powerful…

Apple Watch 2 vs Huawei Watch 2 comparison review: watch out for 4G smartwatches Apple