windows shut down problem

pennyminstrel 17:03 13 Jul 06

This is problem my son is having. Every time he logs on the the internet the computer shuts down and restarts itself. Sometimes it lasts 30 seconds or it can be up to 5 mins.

He's running xp pro and internet explorer version 6. He's just told me he doesn't bother downloading updates for windows so i don't know if maybe its a bug there's a patch for but he's going to have trouble downloading it now anyway.

Anyone got any ideas?

ade.h 17:04 13 Jul 06

I can't answer your query without some research first, but please tell you son that it is really important to keep any internet-ready PC fully up to date!

VoG II 17:07 13 Jul 06

Right-click on My Computer, click Properties, click the Advanced tab. Under Startup & Recovery click Settings. Under System Failure unticck the box in front of Automatically restart. The next time it should not restart but display an error code and message on a blue screen. That would help to pinpoint the problem.

And/or try a repair of IE click here

ade.h 17:16 13 Jul 06

Not much joy - there are a few other posts on other fora, but none with responses!

Malware is the obvious answer, but I'm not so sure. It could well be a system error, but the variation in time (30 secs to 5 mins) is odd.

Stuartli 17:40 13 Jul 06

>>He's just told me he doesn't bother downloading updates for windows>>

One of the key reasons that Microsoft introduced SP2...:-)

terryf 17:43 13 Jul 06

Presumably your son never bothers to maintain the brakes on any transport (bike or car)he uses either!

pennyminstrel 10:10 14 Jul 06

Thanks for your suggestions guys, I'll pass them on. If he really gets stuck I guess he'll just have to reformat.

Yes, I have told him all the stuff about maintenance, but he's 18 and lazy!!!! He does at least run a virus scanner and maybe he'll learn from this.

terryf 23:36 14 Jul 06

Best to start putting property adverts, washing machine manuals and cook-books in front of him :-)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…