Windows setup not recognising hard disk

Chrissib 12:35 24 Aug 09

Trying to fix a laptop, but having found errors on the hardrive, I formatted the partition. The diagnostic software recognises the drive, give stats, sectors size, partition info, make/model, tests OK, but when I go to load Windows from my setup disk, (used OK previously - backup + master), the Setup program does not recognise there is a hardisk present, and wont continue.

I have no other options on the setup disk, as it wont continue without the drive being recognised. Has anyone got any suggestions. It's a Toshiba laptop.

Try using an external hard drive if possible. I have a Toshiba laptop to. I had the same problem.

Zeppelyn 13:40 24 Aug 09

Just replaced a hard drive in a two year old Toshiba. Drive was a Fujitsu 80gb and was totally unreadable, suggest you replace yours.

Chrissib 16:28 25 Aug 09

I was rather hoping someone may be able to tell me how to get the setup disk to see the hard disk, as I do not have an external HDD or wish to buy one when the one in the laptop has passed all read/write tests, and formatted ok in diagnostics.

It seems that getting it to accept a 'system' on it is the problem, not that it is faulty.

Jim_F 17:16 25 Aug 09

If its SATA/XP it may need the drivers after the 'press F6' prompt - usually on a floppy although a slipstreamed cd can be used (Google search nlite).

If a clean install has worked in the past then it may be that some data on the drive is still seen as corrupt - generally the manufacturers utilities can be used to return the disk to factory state.

Chrissib 12:04 02 Sep 09

I suspect you are correct, and I have obtained raid drivers from the Toshiba manaufacturers web site, but I have tried nlite to create a profile for burning, but the program crashes after about 20 minutes when finalising. Is there any idiots guides to creating the process from nlite?

Jim_F 11:07 05 Sep 09

This seems to be the best: click here

An alternative is to use a USB floppy drive - unfortunately Microsoft have determined that this is the only drive type recognised at the F6 prompt but they do offer their own instructions on how to modify Wimndows here:
click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Why ecommerce hasn't taken off on social media

New MacBook Pro 2016 review | MacBook Pro with Touch Bar review: Apple's expensive and powerful…