Windows Setup

acfc 09:15 07 Dec 03

When i try to add Windows features via Add/Remove programs/Windows Setup I get a white box stating Rundll32 has caused an error and the option to cancel or ignore.

I can only select cancel at which point I get 'Rundll32 has caused an error in Setupx.dll ~ rundll32 will now close'

Any ideas how to fix this please??

howard60 09:22 07 Dec 03

this will help us help you.

acfc 09:24 07 Dec 03

I'm using Windows ME

acfc 15:16 07 Dec 03

bmp

Could be your setupx.dll file is damaged. to repair it click here

Wes Tam ;-) 15:39 07 Dec 03

An answer to a similar problem "Check if you have the Windows ME setup files inside Windows\option\install and run setup from within Windows(no boot disk, no safe mode).This should make the necessary corrections before you remove programs." from click here

I hope this helps.

acfc 16:42 07 Dec 03

Thanks for the suggestions guys.

I have replaced setupx.dll as suggested but it did not resolve the problem.

Running setup from the install files starts the full Windows installation which I don't want to do as I have all the patches etc installed and don't want to start from scratch.

Any more ideas please.

Try the same proceedure with 'rundll32'?

Or, Start, Run, type 'sfc', OK. this will check all files for damage and repair them.

acfc 17:10 07 Dec 03

Replaced rundll32 but no change.

When I type sfc into the run box i get the message 'Windows cannot find sfc'

Try sfc /scannow (notice the space).

leo49 18:48 07 Dec 03

Unfortunately,acfc,you're unlikely to find sfc in ME as it isn't included. Instead, ME uses System File Protection.[See Microsoft Knowledge Base Article - 274090 System File Checker Is Not Included in Windows Millennium Edition]

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Christmas Agency Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…