windows service packs

sms 09:21 22 Jan 04

I have just installed a new hard drive and installed win 2000.
My first task was to install win service pack 4.
However this totally srewed up windows and I had to re-format the disk. I did the same again and had the same problem.
Could anyone advise what steps to take. I have installed my anti-virus but still feel vulnerable with no service packs.

starlet 09:43 22 Jan 04

Hi SMS,

I had the same big problems as you and I reformatted the hdd again, this was the forth time, but before I put on any programs I installed SP3 that was stable, then reinstalled all my prog's then updated to Win 2000 SP4 this now works okay, other than it has installed some security device that stops you loading some cd's you have to copy them to your hdd and then install from there,hope this is of help to you.

Regards Starlet

Big Elf 12:14 22 Jan 04

If starlets suggestion doesn't work there's a list of known bugs and issues at click here

sms 12:44 22 Jan 04

i would like to have service packs on cd can I download and save to cd or is it only installed to hd

Big Elf 12:50 22 Jan 04

I think you can order them on CD from the UK site but it takes a bit of tracking down. Give me half an hour.

Mat2 13:03 22 Jan 04

Hi sms

The the web address for the obtaining a free cd from microsoft is click here

Mat2

Big Elf 13:09 22 Jan 04

The Windows 2000 SP4 on CD is available from click here

I'n not 100% sure but I think it might include a 'roll up' of SP1-3.

Big Elf 13:10 22 Jan 04

Sorry. Didn't refresh.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…