Windows Service pack 1

pbrian 16:02 20 Jan 03
  pbrian 16:02 20 Jan 03

My windows update tells me that a large file entitled Windows Service Pack 1 is avalable to be downloaded It is 30 MB and would take hours. Is the download worth it ? I am using Win XP. TIA

jazzypop 16:05 20 Jan 03

Yes it is worth it, but not by downloading via dial-up. You may well find that the 30MB is followed by a 100MB+ download, as the rest of the SP follows!

Many PC magazines have included SP1 on their cover disks recently, or you can get MS to send it to you on CD.

Sir Radfordin™ 16:05 20 Jan 03

SP1 is worth it, but the download might not be You can get it free from Microsoft (links on this site if you look) or it'll be on the cover of various mags - Personal Computer Weekly had it last month, and think thats the copy thats still in the shops.

suburban train 16:06 20 Jan 03

I think it is worth downloading. Im currently trying to download it on dial-up.

Windows Service pack 1 comes with fixes and patches for security and makes the overall system run better (In theory)

It also has the support for USB 2.0

stugra 16:07 20 Jan 03

the reviews that I have read say that it isn't imperative that you install it, especially if you have been using windows update to patch security holes.

Check out the magazines with the free CDROM's on them - I think the file was on the February's editiond of PCW mag

jazzypop 16:07 20 Jan 03

Sorry, forgot the link to order the CD - click here

« Ravin » 16:13 20 Jan 03

the 130 mb download is the full version. there' the express version which is customized according to the computer spec which is why you got a 30 mb download. for me it was a 40mb download including ie sp1 and took about 2 hours.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Christmas Agency Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…