Windows security updates

JohnC123 16:00 25 Oct 05

For the last couple of weeks I've been trying to get the latest updates from Windows. I got them for my main pc and my daughtere's laptop but this laptop will not download them. It gets to the download page and then just hangs, freezes. I followed the windows troubleshooting guide and it appears to be a problem with 'Background Intelligent Transfer Service' not started. Whenever I try to start it a message comes up that says "Window could not start this - refer to service error 2147024894" Does anyone here know how to fix this ? The laptop is a Packard-Bell EasyNote A7718 - OS is Windows XP home with SP-2, connection by BT broadband. I have scanned for virus and spyware and also done a system recovery back to the start except I kept my settings etc.

woodchip 16:03 25 Oct 05

There may be some dependancies switched of so it will not start. Assuming you are doing the above in Services

splork 16:15 25 Oct 05
  splork 16:20 25 Oct 05

Generate the reg-key in step 4 first, if it's missing.

mikef. 16:20 25 Oct 05

I've had the same problem with my laptop trying to download updates wirelessly and after lots of searches it's a firewall problem according to MS, I switched of my Sygate Firewall on the laptop and lo and behold the updates worked fine, got the router firewall to protect me.

Stuartli 16:51 25 Oct 05

Download them direct later in the day on every second Tuesday in the month at Microsoft's Security Bulletin's main page:

click here

JohnC123 16:56 25 Oct 05

Thanks Splork - I'll give that one a try later when I get a bit of time.
Stuartli - I already tried that one - -same as previously - it gets to the download and freezes
MikeF I tried all combinations of with / without firewalls/ AVG etc - the problem is in the BITS service I think

woodchip 21:51 25 Oct 05

Yes the ZoneAlarm Firewall was doing my comp in so I only use the Router Firewall set on High

JohnC123 22:07 25 Oct 05

Congratulations and many thanks to Splork.
The new reg key did the trick - I just downloaded and installed 33 updates.
Problem successfully resolved !!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is ransomware and how do I protect my PC from WannaCry?

What I learned from my mentor, Oscar-winning VFX supervisor Phil Tippett

Siri vs Google Assistant