Windows Security Centre service is stopped

jaycup 11:09 17 Jul 10

I am running Windows 7 Home Premium. Action Centre flags up a problem, namely, "The Windows Security Centre service is turned off"
There is an option to turn the service on but this provokes no response. Going into Computer Management/Services and Applications/Services shows that the 'Service' is set to 'automatic' but has stopped. All attempts to start it produces the following error message.

"Windows could not start the Security Centre service on Local Computer - Error 5: Access is denied"

I have spent many hours on this one and although others have the same problem there seems to be no easy solution..

The popular remedies have been tried e.g. System Restore; SFC /Scannow; Closing the service and re-starting: All failed.

This problem is proving to be very difficult to fix and Microsoft offer no references on their KB

Any help would be appreciated.

woodchip 11:39 17 Jul 10

Sounds like you may have picked something up, namely a Virus. As this is what a lot does

Sea Urchin 12:45 17 Jul 10

Download Malwarebytes from here

click here

update and run a scan - and remove everything it finds. Then run a Quick Scan to check that all is clear then check the Security Center situation.

jaycup 12:55 17 Jul 10

Thanks for advice but I have done all of this both MalwareBytes full scan and MSE full scan. This problem is not unique to me there are internet links to very technical discussions involving MVP's but so far I have not seen a solution.

Graphicool1 13:30 17 Jul 10

Try this...click here

jaycup 13:41 17 Jul 10

Thanks 'Graphicool1' but this link is for a different problem my problem is that the Service I mentioned in my description of the problem has been stopped and windows declares that it cannot be started and gives the error message I detailed.

woodchip 13:48 17 Jul 10

This is for vista but may be worth a try click here

jaycup 14:45 17 Jul 10

Thanks 'woodchip', that link made interesting reading but again, it was not specific to my problem which concerns the WSCS, the link was about Windows Firewall not starting and it gave the same error message no.(5)this is used when any service does not start. Something has stopped mine and until I find out what I fear I will not get the answer to getting it to start up again.

Sea Urchin 15:11 17 Jul 10

I fear that you will not get the answer to getting it to start up again if you are not prepared to try the links offered by Graphicool1 and woodchip - they are both relevant to your problem. If you don't try them you will never know if they might work - and even if they don't then you have nothing to lose.

jaycup 15:45 17 Jul 10

Let me say immediately that I am grateful for all contributions of help and am willing to try anything that might help resolve the issue. The two links provided are both relating to a Windows Vista Firewall problem (not starting up) I am running Windows 7 Microsoft Support have put a message on screen to say that because I am running a different operating system it could be a problem and then give me a link to Windows 7 Support which has nothing to offer. I also checked the registry keys given in one of the links and again because it was for Vista my registry was different so I did not proceed and in any event as I mentioned the entries were for a Firewall problem. I would not be helping anyone if I just altered Registry entries in order to see what happens. I have spent days on this and I now know the problem very well but that does not give me the solution. I do not ignore any help given and am glad to receive such. I think the solution has to be targeted to the specific problem, a 'scattergun' approach will only create more problems. Please continue to make a contribution if you can

VoG II 15:58 17 Jul 10

Any help? click here

Note: if you are Googling for this problem, use the American spelling, center.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac