Windows Security Centre disappeared

popgeoff 14:41 10 Apr 08

I seem to have "lost" Windows Security Centre. If I try to open it from the icon in Control Panel it says that it is not open and tells me to open it. I do that and nothing happens. I recently installed Norton Internet Security Centre which seems to have cause a number of problems including being unable to open Internet Explorer. I have now uninstalled Norton and loaded AVG Free.
Still can't open Security Centre. I presume I can live without it.??? IE is running OK now.
Running XP sp2.
ANy comments appreciated

hiwatt 14:57 10 Apr 08

you could do a system restore to before this happened?

hiwatt 14:58 10 Apr 08

Can you access it via start/programs/accessories/system tools/security centre?

birdface 15:18 10 Apr 08

Did you run the Norton removal tool.click here If not I would run it now.

popgeoff 15:26 10 Apr 08

hiwatt,
I did try a system restore but it failed. I can't access it via start/programs/accessories/system tools/security centre.

buteman
Thanks. I uninstalled the application but haven't used the Norton removal tool. Is that really necessary do you think?

hiwatt 16:17 10 Apr 08

I might be stating the obvious but did you click on one of the BOLD dates while doing your system restore?You could always try a different date?

hiwatt 16:23 10 Apr 08

Check that is running.Go to start/control pannel and choose administrator tools.Double click on performance and maintenace,double click services and scrol down and lok for security centre.Right click it and select properties,on the general tab make sure it's set to automatic and not disabled.If it's disabled start it manually.

popgeoff 17:58 10 Apr 08

hiwatt
That's great! Many thanks. I now have it back again.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…