windows security center query

De Nada 16:41 02 Jun 06

had problems with windows monitoring the firewall and virus settings, the little shield kept popping up when i turned on my pc,i posted a thread a couple of weeks ago but i wasnt able to resolve it,my only option was to tick the monitor myself box in windows security center,iran spybot last week and it found two problems,firewall and virus override settings,i deleted them,but i ran it just now and they were still there, so i ran spybot in safe mode and removed them again but when i rebooted the little red shield popped up again inthe taskbar so i had to tick the the boxes again in security center,any advice please on how to solve it?my pc is working fine,thanks,

VoG II 16:52 02 Jun 06

click here

Maybe Windows doesn't recognise your anti-virus and firewall?

Jackcoms 16:53 02 Jun 06

In Security Centre, click on ' Change the way Security Centre alerts me' at the left hand side.

Ensure all 3 boxes are ticked

De Nada 17:11 02 Jun 06

i checked the three boxes and they were already ticked, this happened out of the blue one day when i turned on my machine.the firewall and virus alerts were disabled,all progs were working,i ran all my security software and it came up with nothing,i changed my firewall from zonealarm to sygate and avg to avast,but still no luck,maybe it decided it didnt like them,the thing thats bothering me is the two items spybot found,is there a way to get rid of them from my machine?i dont mind windows not checking for firewall and virus settings,

Jackcoms 17:15 02 Jun 06

The firewall reference in Security Centre refers to Windows firewall.

As you're using a third party firewall (Zone Alarm) un-tick the firewall box in Security Centre and let ZA do the job itself.

De Nada 17:23 02 Jun 06

i had to change from zonealarm to sygate,but it made no difference,apart from the shield appearing if i disable either of them all is well,i will get back if i have any luck with it,i will tick as resolved,thanks again,

De Nada 18:59 02 Jun 06

just turned on my pc again,and the warnings came on again saying no firewall or antivirus, when i click on windows firewall it says there is a problem and cannot show settings,

ade.h 19:00 02 Jun 06

I keep the Security Centre disabled altogether. Just a waste of resources.

De Nada 19:05 02 Jun 06

went into control panel,network and internet,clicked windows firewall due to an unidentified problem windows cannot show settings.

ade.h 19:11 02 Jun 06

Like I say; best disabled altogether, then your problems will be solved. Run services.msc, stop Security Centre, then set it to Disabled.

Jackcoms 19:13 02 Jun 06

You've already told us that you're using Sygate firewall, but you keep fiddling with Windows firewall settings.

Why not turn OFF Windows firewall in Security Centre?

And try a repair of Windows (sfc /scannow).

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…