windows security center and missing padlock

dinglewolves 16:09 19 Sep 07

further to my previous post, i was looking around my control panel and went into security center. this message was showing...
"The security center is currently unavailable because the security center service has not started or was stopped" does this have anything to do with my missing padlock? how do i switch it back on again?! any help for a pc novice much appreciated, (i am also running norton internet security 2007, and IE6 if thats of any use)

birdface 16:14 19 Sep 07
  birdface 16:28 19 Sep 07

If you go into Control Panel,Administrative tools,Services. Scroll down to Security Center.And make sure it is set to automatic.If it is not set to automatic click on it to highlight it.and in the upper left press restart the service.You have to set it to automatic.Be carefull in there that you do not delete any services bye mistake.

dinglewolves 16:51 19 Sep 07

thanks buteman, my security center is back on but my padlock is still missing, i dont have the little eye with the stop sign over it or anything!! just a little globe with internet written next to it...

birdface 17:09 19 Sep 07

On my computer The padlock sign does not come on unless I am in a secure site[bank Etc] you will either see it on the bottom of the computer or on the top beside the address bar with IE7.

dinglewolves 17:11 19 Sep 07

it usually shows on amazon and microsoft? does it show when u go on these sites? mine isnt showing anything on any sites!!!!

birdface 17:12 19 Sep 07

Try View.And make sure Status bar is ticked.See if that works.

dinglewolves 17:13 19 Sep 07

yep, its ticked! x

dinglewolves 17:14 19 Sep 07

the bar is there, theres just nowt on it except a globe and the word internet next to it!

birdface 17:19 19 Sep 07

No Mine does not show any padlock unless going into a safe site the likes of a bank or anywhere that you have to give your credit card details.

dinglewolves 17:21 19 Sep 07

oh okay, mine was on it most of the time though i seem to recall..... if i went onto a safe site the padlock was there, if i went into an unsecure site such as myspace etc it had an eye with a stop sign over it...

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

iPhone 9 and beyond: 32 amazing future smartphone developments - graphene, supercapacitor…