Windows Security Alert - updates not turned on

rbolwell2 12:32 18 May 05

I keep receiving a windows security alert in the notification area of windows XP Pro SP2. I says that auto updates are not turned on, click here to solve the problen.

I do this and it brings up the security centre, i click to turn on auto updates but it notifies me that an error has aoccured it cand do it.

There is no way I can turn on auto updates. Is there a patch avaliable or something i can change in the registry to over come this

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 15:04 18 May 05

Type

services.msc

in the Run box and press enter. Highlight Automati updates right click select properties and check startup type is automatic and service status is started, if not the click start.

Then retry to switch on autoupdates in security center.

rbolwell2 15:18 18 May 05

there is no automatic updates on my screen

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 15:25 18 May 05

If you have typed services.msc in the run box the services windows should appear showing "Services (Local)"

Automatic updates should be 4th or 5th one down.

If it is not appearing in services then you are going to have to do a windows repair.

Type sfc /scannow in the run box XP will scan and replace missing / corrupt system files you will be asked to put the XP disk in the CD drive to replace any missing files. (this will take awhile)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…