Windows on second drive?

pittza 12:40 16 Aug 09

HI, Is it easy to install windows on a second hard drive? I need to do this on the family PC so that I can write and record songs onto it not just save them on it. I have read that there can be problems with booting up, if this is right would I be better off installing a Lindy Hard Drive Caddy so I can just slot the second drive in when needed. Any advice please?

norman47 12:47 16 Aug 09

Is it easy to install windows on a second hard drive?

Yes. If you use XP or Vista it will install a boot manager that will give you the option of which operating system you wish to use.

To do this. Set up hard drive in machine. Load the computer to desktop and insert the windows cd. Pick the drive you want windows on. It will check the drive and reboot. Just follow the instructions and make sure you pick the correct drive for you new install.

When done, you will have the choice, before windows loads, of which hard drive you want to boot from.

You can do it the same with a caddy fitted.

muddypaws 15:36 16 Aug 09

pittza
Don't know if this is any use to you. I have used it for about a year.
Transfers everything from C to another internal and on PC boot up it give the option of booting from C or the other internal. Very simple to use. It's free, but if you want to do incremental back ups it cost about £28 and £11 approx a year there on.
Of course you might not want all your C on it.
click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sony Xperia XZ Premium review: Hands-on with the new 4K HDR phone with Motion Eye camera and Snapdr5…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best laptop for design and art 2017: we test Apple, Dell, HP, Lenovo and Microsoft's best models…

CarPlay tips & troubleshooting guide: CarPlay tips & troubleshooting guide: Get the most from…