Windows and Samsung updates becoming irritating

March Hare 15:13 09 Mar 11

Samsung N210 netbook, 4 weeks old, Win 7 Starter.

Both update programs set to "INSTALL UPDATES AUTOMATICALLY". So why am I being notified most days that "updates are available"? And then I have to click "Install updates". Then usually a restart is required.

Surely this should all take place in the
background without any involvement by me?

Ex plorer 16:27 12 Mar 11

Hi I run vista you don't say what your OS is.
I turned off auto updates and I prefer to be told when updates are available.

When I am finished for the day I run Win updates and select what updates I want.

If its on Automatic Vista updates and with no warning shuts down in the middle of whatever I am doing and restarts to me that's annoying.

Just a thought auto update may not work until it catches up with all its updating.

Ex plorer 16:34 12 Mar 11
  Kevscar1 17:03 12 Mar 11

because some updates are optional, i.e. drivers for graphics cards

March Hare 17:10 12 Mar 11

Thanks for the responses Ex plorer & Kevscar, my OS is Win7.

From your "click here": 'When you turn on automatic updating, most updates will download and install without you having to lift a finger. But sometimes Windows Update will need your input during an installation.'

My point was that I do frequently have to "lift a finger" to respond to notifications, so why call it automatic!

Thanks again, will click as resolved.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…