hubdean 17:30 27 Jun 04

windows xp

i have windows xp its only 6 months old and running very slow
i have restored it but its still very slow to do anything
can anyone help

Indigo 1 17:38 27 Jun 04

How much memry do you have ?

Have you Defragged lately ?

Have you checked for Viruses and Spyware ?

hubdean 21:05 27 Jun 04

how do i clean out he memory

johnnyrocker 21:28 27 Jun 04

tools internet options clear temp folders/history
start/programs/accessories/system tools/disk clean up then same again and run de frag (suggest last two run in safe mode) download and update adaware and spy bot from download section of this siterun them and delete any files found.

that will do you for starters

johnny.

AL D. 22:14 27 Jun 04

There are several things you can do,firstly have you got all critical updates? then go to start/run/and type msconfig go to the startup tab and untick everything ,you will then be asked to restart pc after clicking apply,when pc has restarted you will be presented with a text box that refers to your selective start up, just put a tick in the little box to stop this message from showing,if when you say your system is still slow when browsing the net you can do this.. go to start /run and type regedit then backup your registry, then go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/Software/Microsoft/Windows/Current version/Explorer/Remote computer/Name space.and remove {D6277990-4C6A-11CF-8D87-00AA0060F5BF. By right clicking on it and delete it.
good luck

GaT7 23:46 27 Jun 04

Interesting article about why WinXP could slow down over time & things you could do to restore it's performance - click here.

Also, run virus/spyware scans & try the other tips suggested ABOVE by the others.

If you require some additional performance-enhancing tips/tweaks after you've tried the above, the suggestions in these articles are worth a go: 1. click here 2. click here 3. click here 4. click here 5. click here.

Hope this helps & good luck, G

THE TERMINATOR 01:01 28 Jun 04

It's not a question of cleaning out your memory, so much as how much do you have? If you right click the MY COMPUTER icon on your desktop, and choose properties from the menu, the system properties page should tell you how much memory(RAM) you have on your pc. If this is less than 480MB I would consider upgrading the memory to that total, at least....TT

norman47 06:49 28 Jun 04

If you use the excellent suggestion to switch off your start up programmes.

e.g. msconfig

Make sure you leave your anti virus and firewall programmes running. You may forget to enable them before you use the internet.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Christmas Agency Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…