Windows restart instead of shutdown - a solution

JayDay 07:16 02 Apr 05

I have seen a few threads about Windows restarting instead of shutting down. Although well documented there are not many solutions.

I had the same problem and none of the advice currently available seemed to work. However after some trial and error I discovered it was down to one of my USB ports. I have a four port PCI USB card installed. For some reason if anything is installed via one particular USB port it causes Windows to restart instead of shutting down. Not sure why but I have kept that port free and everything now works fine.

Hopefully this may assist others who are experiencing similar problems.

Diodorus Siculus 08:42 02 Apr 05

Interesting one; another good source of info below.

click here
Windows XP Shutdown Troubleshooter

JayDay 10:21 02 Apr 05

That site gave me the idea as there is some mention of USB devices although not my solution specifically.

Pesala 15:46 02 Apr 05

Not exactly related to your problem, but some who look at this thread might find it useful.

A shortcut on the desktop with this target is handy to quickly reboot the PC without going to the Start menu.

C:\WINDOWS\RUNDLL32.EXE shell32.dll,SHExitWindowsEx 2

Just right-click on the desktop, and enter the above text in the command line. Then enter a suitable name for the shortcut such as "Reboot."

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…