Windows Reset?

meniscus 11:37 02 May 08

Im giving my old windows laptop to my younger brother and want to clean the system up a bit for him.

I know i could do a format on the hard disk and new reinstall but i dont have the oringinal windows disk so cant do that.

Is there any other feature in Windows that allows you to reset the entire operating system to its oringinal state? (The state is was when windows was first installed)

Thanks in advance

Sea Urchin 11:49 02 May 08

Depending on the make of laptop there is likely to be a hidden partition on the hard drive to reformat back to factory settings. You can usually access this by tapping F11 as you boot up, and then follow instructions to restore. It might also be Ctrl+F11 in some cases.

meniscus 11:54 02 May 08

Thanks for the quick reply:-)

Will any data at all be retrievable once this is done? Will it help restore the PC to its oringinal state in terms of speed?

Its just its very slow at the moment will all the stuff iv installed on it over the years!

Sea Urchin 11:58 02 May 08

The restore to factory settings will take it back to how it wsa the day you got it - it will only contain the Windows operating system, and all your data and files etc will be gone. So if you need to keep anything obviously save it before you do the restore.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…