Windows reports no memory

I have been getting error messagesaying my memory is very low cannot open programmes advises me to close programmes but no applications are running.
Windows 98SE with 256 Mb memory.

LastChip 23:18 28 Jul 04

Start Windows and select Ctrl+Alt+Delete, once only. This will start the Task Manager.

Now take a look at the applications running. You ONLY NEED Explorer and Systray for Windows to run, so don't touch these. Close down everything else and then select something like Microsoft Word and see if you get the same problem.

If it runs OK, something you have closed down is hogging memory, and it is now a matter of elimination to find the cause.

If you still have the same problem, then virtual memory could be the culprit.

Right Click My Computer and select Properties; Performance. Now check the amount of Physical Memory you have is being recognised by Windows and the amount of System Resources that are free. Now at the bottom of the page, Click "Virtual Memory" and see how it is being managed. The "Recommended" setting is normally OK, but you can if you wish, specify the amount of hard drive space to be used for virtual memory. If your hard drive is full up, and the recommended option is selected, the greyed out area will show a very small amount of drive space available for virtual memory, and this could be the cause of your problem.

If you can't find anything wrong with the above, suspect a virus or Trojan!

Thanks for your help I have closed the other thread and printed out your advice to try if I
have any more problems Cheers

I have tried to run my Pc again,managed to open Outlook express,checked email then opened Internet Explorer OK I then tried to open Start and found that I had only a box instead of the dialog box I clicked up to where programs would be and opened programs, clicked on each one getting white box on most of them telling me that resources were dangerously low and I should close the application. I then went to Ctrl +ALT+DEL and closed all but explorer and Systray.
I then opened My Computer/Properties/performance and found 224MB memory System resources 16% free.
Virtual Memory set at recommended and Hard disk showing 14710MB free.I then opened accessories to check system info.and system crashed... Rebooted
AMD AthlonXP1800+ 224MB RAM 6%system resources free windows managed swap file 14702mb of 19075mb free
I have scanned for virus

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 19:51 29 Jul 04

Run some Anti Spyware :-
Adaware click here
Spybot S&D click here
Spywareblaster click here

something is using your resources spyware is often a culprit.

Dorsai 19:59 29 Jul 04

All the above very worth listing to, and advice worth following..

Does not 98 also suffer from memory leaks? Memory that is now not in use sill flagged as in use, meaning it is not avaliable?

LastChip 22:56 29 Jul 04

You re-boot the computer, don't run any programs at all and follow my procedure above?

How much FREE memory are you showing?

What are you using to check your PC for unwanted Trojans diallers etc?

Fruit Bat /\0/\'s list of links is an excellent starting point to clear out unwanted malware and will deal with all but the most stubborn problem.

LastChip 23:00 29 Jul 04

Start the machine. Don't open anything except Task Manager, close down running tasks as above and then check available resources.

smokingbeagle 23:04 29 Jul 04

click here
Try this. Freemem Standard is free.

Thanks folks for all the suggested work rounds. I have opened windows, deleted or closed everything in systray then tried C+A+D ended tasks on all but EXP & Systray Then attempt to open Internet explorer all I get is Not enough memory to open the program so I cannot open any cures. I am getting your messages on my Laptop Apple Mac

Thanks folks for all the suggested work rounds. I have opened windows, deleted or closed everything in systray then tried C+A+D ended tasks on all but EXP & Systray Then attempt ed to open the program so I cannot open any cures. I am getting your messages on my Laptop Apple Mac
If anybody would ike to e- mail a phone number maybe they could help me

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…