windows repair (or 'inplace upgrade') question

Rick Myles 10:14 02 Aug 08

Hi

When Windows is reinstalled (NOT CLEAN INSTALL WITH FORMAT) does it overwrite Outlook Express DBX files?

MAJ 10:50 02 Aug 08

XP doesn't, I can't answer for Vista as I don't use it, but as with any kind of reinstall, it is ALWAYS wise to backup your files first in any case. You'll find the location of OE's store folder under the Maintenance tab in OE > Tools > Options. It's usually something like:

C:\Documents and Settings\Compaq_Administrator\Local Settings\Application Data\Identities\{?????????????????????????}\Microsoft\Outlook Express

Backup that "Outlook Express" folder as a whole, not just the .dbx files.

Rick Myles 12:21 02 Aug 08

Hi Maj

Thanks for your answer and confirmation of what I thought. The situation is, I have a PC which had a virus, which caused various probelms (taskbar and desktop icons disappeared). A Windows repair was performed (to no avail) so now, in preparation for a fresh install I am looking for DBX files and all I am seeing is the standard few (inbox, outbox, etc.) which, from their size must be empty! I can only therefore conclude that the virus has wiped the dbx files!

MAJ 16:41 02 Aug 08

It is possible that a virus has wiped your .dbx files, Rick Myles, although I've never had it happen personally. Have you thought about trying a system restore, Start > All Programs > Accessories > System Tools > System Restore, to a time prior to you picking up the virus? It might help.

Rick Myles 17:35 02 Aug 08

Done sys restore, sfc /scannow, etc etc. Just trying now to scan the drive with a recovery tool to see if it turns up any dbx files. Thanks for all your suggestions.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…