Windows repair, missing files problem ?

curlylad 14:04 15 May 06

I have just attempted a repair install of windows xp pro for a friend.

Rather than format at this stage we decided to try the repair as there are a lot of programs and photos and other work on the system and my friend decided he would rather try the repair.

He had the windows xp pro cd-rom and his 25 character activation key so there was no problem there, but as windows was re-installing it kept saying it could not find certain files even though it was pointing to the correct navigation point to find them, what is happening, why can it not find these files when I know they are on the cd, it wasn't just one or two either, it was 30+ files that it said were missing.

Any ideas guys, thanks in advance.

FatboySlim71 14:11 15 May 06

I know that you said "even though it was pointing to the correct navigation point to find them"

But it does sound like that its looking in the wrong place for them, double check that the drive letter for the drive that the Windows disc is in, is the correct one. With you saying as well "it was 30+ files that it said were missing" this would lead me to believe that its looking in the wrong drive for it.

curlylad 14:19 15 May 06

"this would lead me to believe that its looking in the wrong drive for it."

It was definately looking in the correct drive, the drive that the cd-rom was in.

I know it sounds as if it is looking in the wrong place but it definately is not, thanks for the suggestion anyway.

Any one else ?

rawprawn 14:24 15 May 06

Have you tried cleaning the CD? it sounds as though it could be dirty or damaged. Have a look at the CD on another computer and see if you can see the files.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Xiaomi Mi5s review: The Xiaomi flagship that could replace your Samsung, LG, HTC or Apple phone

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Mental Canvas is a brand new drawing app that's quite unlike any other

New MacBook Pro 2016 review | MacBook Pro with Touch Bar review: Apple's super-expensive new…