Windows Registry Recovery

bamfiesler 09:53 23 Feb 09

Within the last two weeks, I have seen this window box pop up on startup:-

WINDOWS REGISTRY RECOVERY
One of the files containing the system registry data had to be recovered by the use of a log or alternate copy. Recovery was successful.

This looks serious; what is it? I haven't done or downloaded anything that I'm aware of AVG or the firewall alerting me to something. Incidentally, AVG is taking over 3 hours to scan my computer at automatic speed!

Any ideas on the above, pref the first subject?

birdface 09:58 23 Feb 09

[AVG is taking over 3 hours to scan my computer at automatic speed!]Is that fast medium or slow speed.Slider to the right for fast and to the left for slow.it will use less of the CPU in slow speed but takes a lot longer.
Fast speed mine takes about 48 minutes but I do not have a lot on my computer.

rawprawn 10:05 23 Feb 09

Try a system file scan (sfc /scannow) you haven't said wich OS.

bamfiesler 10:16 23 Feb 09

XP

bamfiesler 10:21 23 Feb 09

The scanning really isn't an issue, right now, although it's taking ages. The actual subject is.

rawprawn 10:29 23 Feb 09

XP, Start> Run> type sfc /scannow and hit Enter. You may well need your XP Disk

bamfiesler 10:34 23 Feb 09

Oh dear: 'Windows cannot find sfc/scannow.'

Sea Urchin 10:44 23 Feb 09

Must be a space between sfc and /

rawprawn 10:55 23 Feb 09

Thanks, should have made it clear.

bamfiesler 11:05 23 Feb 09

Ruuninng....

T0SH 11:23 23 Feb 09

Nine times out of ten this error is caused by bad ram if you have two or more sticks of ram remove one at a time until the error no longer occurs

The explanation when individual parts of the registry are being read and applied it is loaded into ram and a checksum taken once completed it is then stored back to the registry files again with a checksum if any changes are detected the error is generated and a backup copy restored hence the Recovery part of the message

Cheers HC

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Intel Coffee Lake 8th-gen Core processors release date rumours

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Apple MacBook Pro with Touch Bar review

Best iPhone games 2017 | Best iPad games 2017: 162 fantastic iOS games that you need to play right…