Windows registry error during bootup in Win98SE

Tiscali 06:24 18 Jan 03
  Tiscali 06:24 18 Jan 03

I run Windows 98SE. I sometimes get a message during bootup that says there is a Windows registry error. I have to restart Windows which then works fine on the last good backup. I have run a registry cleaning program but that hasn't fixed it. The only new software recently installed is ZoneAlarm. There seems to be no pattern, the fault is intermittent. Anyone got any ideas?

Stokey 08:30 18 Jan 03

Copied/pasted your heading into Google and got 613 hits. click here Regards,

AMD 4 ever 08:46 18 Jan 03

Let us know the error message and we can help further.

greenlamp 12:07 18 Jan 03

Zone Alarm is almost certainly your problem,Have a look at these links. click here click here
typing into google zone alarm problems comes up with 152,000 links (plenty of reading There), Having a firewall there is much more important than a minor niggle but best to be prepared in case it gets worse.

flecc 12:15 18 Jan 03

I find the earlier versions of Zone Alarm are better if you can get hold of one. Firewalls don't need to be updated, they all work the same way.

Alternatively, get the Sygate personal firewall, many recommendations and used by many in this site. Very easy to configure and use and no aggravations.

click here

Mike2002 12:46 18 Jan 03

That's strange. I've never had any Registry error
with Zone Alarm all the years (and updates) I've
been using it. The only (small problem I experienced is that unless I shut down Zone Alarm first, my computer (98SE) would 'hang'. But the latest version is trouble-free.

bof:) 15:46 18 Jan 03

Hi All,

Mike 2002 I to used zone alarm and 'updated' to zone alarm pro and had mega problems with it. I emailed zone labs but never recieved anything other than an automated response.

I now use Outpost, as suggested on this site whilst having problems with ZA.

So, I suppose it shows just how different our PC's are.

Mike

rev.bem 17:04 18 Jan 03

do you use msn messenger if so

click here

Tiscali 17:19 18 Jan 03

Thanks for some great links and suggestions. Yes, my son uses msn messenger so will check that. Will also try sfc, and may try another firewall instead of ZoneAlarm. Funny, it hasn't produced the error message since first thing this morning afterwhich I posted the message to the helproom.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Christmas Agency Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…