windows registry checker

Kaacee 22:19 26 Jun 03

i am running windows 98se,and when i boot up my pc i get the following error message..."windows encountered an error accessing system registry" it then tells me it will restart and repair registry system..which it does after saying it has found an error in system files and restored recent backup of files to fix it....i then have to restart my pc and everything runs smoothly.

Can anyone please explain why this has only just started happening and what i can do to prevent it happening every time i boot up my pc...

many thanks

Valvegrid 23:02 26 Jun 03

You could try re-booting the computer and keep tapping the F8 key till the menu appears, then select start at command prompt, at the C:\ type 'SCANREG/RESTORE' (without the quote marks) then hit enter. It will scan the registry and present you with five previous dates, select the date the computer was running correctly and no software was installed, then hit enter and it will restore that particular registry for you.

Paul.

jazzypop 23:36 26 Jun 03

If the fix above does not help, you may have a faulty memory chip. One method for finding out is at click here

Stuartli 00:19 27 Jun 03

You can alter the number of previous backups if necessary by editing Scanreg.inf in the C:\Windows directory.

In the line MaxBackUpCopies= (default is 5), alter the figure to, say, 10; save and then exit the file.

This virtually guarantees you can find a suitable previous registry setting.

Jester2K II 09:32 27 Jun 03

Whats happening is this. You have 5 backups of the registry. When you start up it detects the latest one of corrupt and goes back to an old one. This isn't an ideal situation to repeat because you will keep loosing changes in your registry.

Reboot to the command prompt as Valvegrid said but use SCANREG /FIX instead. This will run a scan on the registry and fix problems.

The SCANREG /OPT to optimise it. This one looks like the PC has hung - wait for the flashing cursor to come back.

Then reboot...

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

iPhone 9 and beyond: 32 amazing future smartphone developments - graphene, supercapacitor…