windows readyboost

FatboySlim71 17:53 07 Mar 08

I have been reading a little bit on windows readyboost, but I am not quite sure as to exactly what it is, the jist I get is that windows readyboost is for people who are either not willing to open their PC case to install the normal type of memory or they simple don't have an spare slots to add additional memory?

I have a question:

I have a PC that has 4gb ram (shows 3.5gb because of graphics card memory)and is running Windows Vista Ultimate 32 Bit.

I was wondering if I would see any performance improvement if I were to add a USB memory stick that would provide the windows readyboost option. My PC also has an Intel Q6600 processor and a 500 gb hard drive.

aine 18:01 07 Mar 08

I think you will find that readyboost will not be any benefit to you. It is primary designed for PCs that are low on memory,ie when the system is being loaded this kicks in to boost performance. You have loads of memory, and I feel that you would never get that low to see the effect

jimv7 18:02 07 Mar 08

Not unless you change vista to the 64 bit version.

The vista 32 bit operating system cannot address more than 3.25 to 3.5gb of ram including the graphic card memory.

FatboySlim71 13:01 08 Mar 08

bump

jarvis10@btinternet.com 16:26 08 Mar 08

you wouldnt notice any difference, i tried it on 2 and 4 gb set ups, it had meant to help less powerful pc's (512 with onboard graphics etc)how ever when i was trying mine nobody who posted on my thread noticed any difference at all, the only difference i noticed was a slight drop in in frame rates WITH readyboost enabled.

jarvis10@btinternet.com 16:32 08 Mar 08

there is more click here it was never designed for games (ready boost not vista ahem) just a simple boost for boot times etc, the difference is, it seems measurable on systems under 1 gb but not really noticable on anything.

rdave13 16:34 08 Mar 08

Interesting read here; click here
Not worth the hassle I think.

FatboySlim71 22:39 08 Mar 08

Thanks everyone for the help and the links (I found them most helpful)

At least I know more about what ready boost is now. I'll now mark as resolved.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sony Xperia XZ Premium review: Hands-on with the new 4K HDR phone with Motion Eye camera and Snapdr5…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best laptop for design and art 2017: we test Apple, Dell, HP, Lenovo and Microsoft's best models…

CarPlay tips & troubleshooting guide: CarPlay tips & troubleshooting guide: Get the most from…