Windows Re install

Hrosir 11:48 08 Jan 12

Hi, I recently had to do a winows Reinstall and after completion I found that the original version was an upgrade disc, not a new install. I no longer have the CD from xp and I am wondering if after reinstalling using the vista upgrade disc I will be able to enter my registration number. I am hoping that microsoft will still have my xp number on record and let me complete installation and activation ?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 12:00 08 Jan 12

During the install using an upgrade disk it asks you for the serial number of the old system, this may well be on the sticker attached to the machine.

northumbria61 12:02 08 Jan 12

Read here enter link description here There are several answers should you encounter a problem. You can even phone Microsoft direct if you have to - stay on the line until you have contact with a human to explain your circumstances.

Hrosir 12:20 08 Jan 12

The computer in question was built at home. I haden't realized until after I had done a clean install that the original Vista was anh upgrade from XP and that; I had used the New Install Disc by mistake!. The reason for a new install was because the Hard Drive failed. I plan to try again but using the Upgrade Disc this time and reactivate.

T0SH 12:47 08 Jan 12

Boot to and run the advanced Vista install (not the upgrade option) when asked for the licence code if you do not enter anything by just pressing the enter key you will get a thirty day trial period install, once this is up and running just insert the upgrade disk again it should autorun but this time choose the upgrade install option and when prompted for the licence your upgrade licence code will be accepted as valid

Cheers HC

T0SH 12:47 08 Jan 12

Boot to and run the advanced Vista install (not the upgrade option) when asked for the licence code if you do not enter anything by just pressing the enter key you will get a thirty day trial period install, once this is up and running just insert the upgrade disk again it should autorun but this time choose the upgrade install option and when prompted for the licence your upgrade licence code will be accepted as valid

Cheers HC

robin_x 13:51 08 Jan 12

I think Tosh is describing the "double install method" above.

Fuller instructions and two other methods here

These work even from a blank Hard Drive.

(it's W7 but should be OK or helpful for Vista)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild review: Five hours with Zelda on the Nintendo Switch

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…