windows re-boot after shutdown

morganmight 14:06 14 May 03

Is there anyone out there that can tell me why when i shut down my computer,it reboots up again.I use windows 98se for my operating system.

spikeychris 18:21 14 May 03

click here

Chris

morganmight 11:45 16 May 03

Thanks Chris,i'll try this web site.

keith-236785 11:59 16 May 03

if you are using Norton Anti-Virus try disabling it then try to shutdown, if it shuts then its Norton "protecting your system". if this doesnt work try your reset button to see if its stuck....hope this might help you, good luck

morganmight 12:48 21 May 03

I have tried some of the trouble shooting tasks from 'Chris's' web page,and none have worked,90%of them are to do with windows hanging at shutdown,my computer does not hang,just reboots after complete shutdown.I do not currently use any Anti-Virus software but the reset button was an interesting idea but it does'nt seem to be stuck,it has however made me think about the possibility it may be something to do with the power restarting the computer somehow.
Just to elaborate,when the computer finaly shuts down,ie:after the "windows is shutting down" screen disappears,you can here the computer literally switch off,2 second later,without touching the "power on" button it starts to boot again.Very annoying.Any more ideas,thanks.

morganmight 12:51 21 May 03

Incidently,the computer does not re-boot after complete shutdown when shutdown is deployed in safe mode.

keith-236785 17:54 21 May 03

is "wake on LAN" enabled in your bios?, if you are on a network then the other computer could be "waking" your computer up, this can also happen with (wake on token ring or modem or dial up connection)i think thats what its called. check your bios for these settings, if they are enabled then try disabling them and see if this helps. post back if not.....

Gemma 19:48 21 May 03
  spikeychris 19:54 21 May 03

Give this a whirl click here

morganmight 14:13 22 May 03

I've looked in the bios and can't find any "wake on LAN" anywhere,or any "wake on "anything.Would an upgrade for my bios help?

morganmight 09:18 29 Aug 03

Hi,i know this thread is now 3 months old,i still have not cured the problem of windows rebooting after shutdown.I have contacted my motherboard manufacturer and he has advised me to install 4 in 1 drivers VIA my Apollo MVP3 chipset and he seems to think it is more likely to do with windows being installed in ACPI mode with an AT psu and non ACPI bios.
Does this make any sense to anyone.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…