Windows Quick Exit

prima12 21:35 26 Jan 03

Hi all, I have had a quick shutdown shortcut for Windows on my desktop for a long time, which had been working perfectly. I did a virus scan and eTrust removed the Yaha virus, now when I try to close Windows using the desktop shortcut I get the following message that C:\WINDOWS\RUNDLL.EXE is missing. I've run a check via sfc but do not appear to have any files missing. I've tried to reinstall the original shortcut which I put on a floppy but the same message comes up. It's been on my desktop for so long now I can't remember how I set it up in the first place. Any help would be appreciated. I am running Win 98se

march 14:03 27 Jan 03

shutdown shortcut,click on blank area of desktop, select 'new shortcut' in the command line box type
C:\WINDOWS\RUNDELL32.EXE user,exitwindows
click next,(if the file cannot be found then try
C:WINDOWS\RUNDLL.EXE USER. EXE,EXITWINDOWS
select name for your shortcut then click finish
hope this works
march

Cordy13 14:10 27 Jan 03

Rebooter.exe will put an Icon on your Desktop allowing you to Shutdown or Reboot at will. click here

prima12 20:44 27 Jan 03

I tried both your suggestions and got a new short cut on my desktop, but when I clicked on it I still got the message ' Cannot find C:\WINDOWS\RUNDLL.EXE. Windows needs this file to run C:\WINDOWS\RUNDLL.EXE.'. I even tried to extract the file from my W98 se disc and it told me that the file had been successfully extracted, so I don't know what the problem is, does anybody?

march 12:07 29 Jan 03

sorry not that clever with computers maybe if you try google and type in windows 98 shutdown shortcut then you might find something there,I found lots of help on there. march

prima12 21:09 29 Jan 03

I don't really what I did, except insert a new command line for my quick shutdown shortcut, which was:
C:\WINDOWS\RUNDLL32.EXE User,ExitWindows
and it's all working again, so I'll tick the box as resolved.
P.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Amazon Fire HD 8 review: A brilliant combination of function and value – with one massive caveat

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How to create an introvert-friendly workplace

Apple Watch 2 review | Apple Watch Series 2 review: New Apple Watch is faster, brighter, water-resit…