Windows Protection Error

coolteentom 13:28 24 Aug 06

I have recently bought a Netgear RangMax Wireless router, which I connected to my Windows 98 PC via an ethernet cable. However, next time I started up the computer, I got an error in the DOS startup bit saying 'Windows Protection Error', and to 'restart'.

The only way I am able to get in, is through Safe Mode.. I used to have a standard wired router previously.. Could it be the drivers reacting badly with this router or something, as I haven't installed any new drivers yet or anything.

Cheers,
Tom

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 14:33 24 Aug 06
  coolteentom 13:06 17 Sep 06

Hey, thanks for the link...

I have finally found some time to go through Microsoft's step-by-step, and I have managed to load up windows without safe mode, with "PCI Bus IRQ Steering" disabled, and many system devices disabled.

However, when windows does load up, several blue-screen fatal exception errors appear on the screen, very similar to the following:

"A fatal exception 00 has occured at 0028:C023DB7F in VxD VDD(09) + 00001803. The current application will be terminated."

... Update: Whereas for the first time, I could eventually get onto the system after all these error messages, the computer now seems to hang after a few of them, and I have no choice but to restart. The "Windows protection error" startup message then reappears. I am certain that I if I fiddled e.g. re-enabled/disabled all the system devices, I could get back onto the full startup with all the errors, but I really do not have a clue what I can do to fix this.

Any ideas?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

New Corel ParticleShop plugin now available: 11 new brushes & 6 new brush packs

Apple AirPods review: Apple's beautiful new Bluetooth headphones bring true intelligence to…