Windows Protection Error

dismayed 12:15 21 Feb 04

On booting up my computer lately, I have been getting an error message: "Windows protection error. You need to restart your computer".
On restarting I get 5 or so choices, including Normal mode, Safe Mode and some others. As I don't know what I am doing in Safe Mode, or any of the others come to that, I opt for Normal mode. The computer then seems to run normally.

Please, can you give me any ideas on what the problem could be caused by and is there anything I can do to overcome it!

johnnyrocker 12:22 21 Feb 04

os?

johnny.

Paranoid Android 12:58 21 Feb 04

Suggest re-installing the motherboard chipset drivers.

Marvin

dismayed 13:02 21 Feb 04

The OS is 98se.

dismayed 13:07 21 Feb 04

Does re-installing the motherboard chipset drivers involve the use of a humane killer? I'm afraid I wouldn't know how to re-install anything other than a CD software.

But thanks anyway!

JIM 13:42 21 Feb 04

for any thing to change your system of late,normaly it is some item you have installed deleted or altered or has become corrupted.I would have a "re-think" and try to reverse the change/changes if poss by un-installing or reinstalling anything first. (if that be the case)

More info about what you may have last done, before the error appeared on your system, would give us more idea of how to poss try to help you.

Do a SFC from the Run command "Systems file check"(have your win98 disk handy)after that if no change to bootup error would try a scanreg/restore from the dos command to take your registry back to a time when things were poss ok. "if poss"

If at all unsure of going about it someone will post the info.

dismayed 13:54 21 Feb 04

Can't think of anything being added or changed lately, but others do use the computer so I'm not too sure about it.
Have tried running SFC, but nothing showed up, after doing this I restarted the computer and the error message did not show. Unfortunately, this doesn't mean the problem is permanently cured, so if there are any more suggestions you could make I'd be grateful.

Paranoid Android 14:06 21 Feb 04

The motherboard chipset driver would come on a CD with your motherboard. If not, you can usually download drivers from the internet once you know what motherboard you've got.

Jim is quite correct to say that this usually results from a major system change. A classic example would be installing a new motherboard into an existing operating system. However these problems can result from damaged or corrupted drivers, most commonly those that control the motherboard.

However nothing is certain.

Marvin

JIM 14:17 21 Feb 04

wait till you get an error.

The problem may be a result of a poss program that is run during startup. To determine which program is causing the problem

Click Start, click Run, type msconfig in the Open box, and then click OK.

Click the Startup tab, and then click each check
box to clear it.

Click OK, and then restart your computer when you are prompted to do so.

-------------------------------------------------

If the problem is resolved, follow these steps

Click Start, click Run, type msconfig in the

Open box, and then click OK.

On the Startup tab, click the first check box in the list to select it.

Click OK. and then restart your computer when you are prompted to do so.

If the problem is still resolved, repeat steps 1-3, but click the next check box in the list to select it.

When the problem returns, the last check box you selected is loading a program that is preventing Windows 98 to start normally.

Make a note of the program and post back somtime. Time consumming but you have to try to nail it.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…