Window's programmes not responding

Deucalion 15:25 05 Feb 08

Unbeknown to me, my partner downloaded and installed the following progs,Registery Mechanic,Spyware Doctor and Blaster, Avast Antivirus and Divx Converter + player. He then converted and copied a DVD. Now Windows media player, system information, system restore and windows update will not work. I just keep getting a "programme not responding" message. I told Reg Mechanic to put back what it had removed and everything was fine, until I tried to play a cd, now nothings working again. I think he also installed Codex. Please can anyone help? Thankyou

Pamy 17:29 05 Feb 08

Remove them all and only install one at a time if wanted

Pamy 17:31 05 Feb 08

If XP, system restor to befor progs installed

Deucalion 16:00 06 Feb 08

Many thanks for your advice Pamy, but even with them removed things are no better. I've tried System Restore more than once, but it gets so far and then I get a message telling me that it is unable to restore to an earlier point. I am assuming that he has deleted a file somewhere, but I don't know what. He says he thinks it maybe win32, but having checked, I still have win32 files on the computer. He phoned PC World and they suggested pressing the F10 key once booted up. I have also had trouble logging onto the internet.

Pineman100 17:38 06 Feb 08

Have you tried running System Restore in Safe Mode? This is often more successful than running it in normal mode. Just be aware that - if you do this successfully - you can't undo the restore afterwards.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 5 News - release date, UK price, features, specs

Gear VR vs. Daydream: Which delivers the best VR experience?

Best Mac antivirus 2017