Windows Product Activation

HandyAndy5535 13:09 18 Jun 08

Please can someone help as some idiot has installed XP Home Edition on a brand new Vista Machine on my mates parents machine but cannot get it activated, is there any way round this without me having to Re-Install XP with the Professional disc that i have??

Thanks

Andy

birdface 13:20 18 Jun 08

Providing it was a Genuine XP Disc with the Keycode on it I see no reason why it should not work providing of course that your parents wanted the Home version installed.Xp pro disc will do no good either if this is a new computer you will need a Vista disc.Keycode would be on the side of the computer somewhere.

birdface 13:24 18 Jun 08

I should have said if it was a genuine Xp Home disc with the Keycode you will have to phone microsoft probably to get it Activated.Or try All programs.Accessories.System tools.Activate Windows.Try that and see if it works.

HandyAndy5535 13:33 18 Jun 08

Thanks for that but it's my mates parents computer and they don't even have the disc that the idiot installed XP Home with and they don't have a Vista disc, only the disc from Packard Bell that came with the computer. As for logging in to windows it just won't let me get that far.

I have used my own XP Pro Disc on other machines and haven't had any problems before but thought there might be an easier way round this than having to reformat and instal from my disc.

Thanks

lotvic 20:30 18 Jun 08

why not put Vista back?
"Your Packard Bell computer comes with a hidden partition that holds all the necessary information to restore your computer back to it's orginal state."
click here
and follow the instructions

ventanas 21:53 18 Jun 08

Use the PB disc to put Vista back. You won't have any drivers for XP anyway. And as its new there may not be any. It will also be legal again.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…