Windows Problems ( Loading )

Migwell 00:09 22 Jan 04

I can't install windows xp to my boot drive, so that it boots from there.

When I start installing Win XP I get to the first shutdown , when it comes back it goes to a blue screen with the following message.

STOP: C0000221 UNKNOWN HARD ERROR\SYSTEMROOT\SYSTEM32\NTDLL.DLL ) what is that all about, cant get any further.

Suspected the hard drive but since then have loaded Win 98 Upgrated to Win ME and everything is OK. If I then upgrade to XP PRO I get that message each time.

What can I do to conserve my sanity, no one seems to know anything amongst my friends at work.

woodchip 00:22 22 Jan 04

You could try a Clean disc then if it's a Update XP version load Win98 then go strait to XP but first I would remove all hardware that's not required to load XP like sound card and any extra's like external Modem Printers etc. After put these back one at a time

pc moron 00:30 22 Jan 04
  woodchip 00:35 22 Jan 04

As I said keep it simple while you load XP

pc moron 00:43 22 Jan 04

Agree with woodchip.

Migwell 00:14 23 Jan 04

I have tried a full clean install on this computer. And when it re-boots it just goes to a blue screen with the message below.
STOP: C0000221 UNKNOWN HARD ERROR\SYSTEMROOT\SYSTEM32\NTDLL.DLL )

The next thing I tried was to put the same hard drive in another computer and do the clean install on that. It worked, But when I put the disk back in my computer it went back to its old ways with the blue screen and a STOP: 0X0000007B message which is not helping.

I am now having the feeling that the MoBo is stuffed in some small way. Thinking back the other day we had a big drop in power supply which came back up before the computer went off and then again the power went off all together at one point or should I say it happened twice.
Once I think while the computer was booting up, on the 60 Gig drive and my 8 Gig seems Ok as it is my second boot one.

Any further thoughts would be very welcome. Thank you all, Migwell

woodchip 00:18 23 Jan 04

As I said I think when you boot up it's looking for hardware drivers, that's different to the other computer

Tog 07:28 23 Jan 04

Try running a memory checker (not the BIOS Post, it's useless).

Migwell 23:31 23 Jan 04

have been told that it sounds like a fault on the BIOS I am taking the board back to my supplier in the morning for a replacement. As Asus boards are covered for 3 years anyway.

At the same time the Asus grafix card fan has also stoped working, may as well kill two birds with one stone so to speak.

I will let you know what happens, re replacement and how the rebuild went.

Indebted to all who tried to help.

Regards Migwell

Migwell 23:12 26 Jan 04

Had board exchanged and up-graded to a A7N8X-8
with a XP 2800 processor and 512 of 333 memory. Spent all evening puting the whole thing (back)together, swiched on and nothing!!! Checked all wiring and still nothing. Panos at the shop had fitted the chip and memory also, and did POST test said it was OK dont know what to do now. realy feeling fed up!. Any thoughts please as I am going around the bend.

regards to all MIGWELL

woodchip 23:24 26 Jan 04

Take out all cards exept Graphics just one strip of memory try a boot to BIOS NO Drives should be connected

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…