windows problem with device PGCPU

march 11:51 01 Feb 09

turned on pc to get message
while initlizing device PGCPU windows protection error you need to start your pc

what is PGCPU please

this is what I've done so far

restarted under msconfig & created backup then did a diagnostic start up after which I did a selective start up all loaded ok & have got windows to load,
but now
computer screen shows in 16colors & 640x480pixels how can I get it to true color 24bit & 800x600pixels when 24bit is not showing in drop down menu?

running wins98se

march

MAJ 11:57 01 Feb 09

"how can I get it to true color 24bit & 800x600pixels when 24bit is not showing in drop down menu?"

You need to reinstall your graphic card's drivers.

march 11:59 01 Feb 09

sorry made a mistake teh device is PGCPC have not PGCPU have googled PGCPC & its a program called Second Chance that I do have installed

can someone help me to get the screen resolved please

thank you
march

MAJ 12:01 01 Feb 09

"how can I get it to true color 24bit & 800x600pixels when 24bit is not showing in drop down menu?"

You need to reinstall your graphic card's drivers.

march 12:02 01 Feb 09

MAJ
thanks for your fast response but due to my mistake in the title I will wait to see if you advise some other way hopefully you will see my error sorry for any confusion

march

MAJ 12:06 01 Feb 09

Same solution, march. The reason is because at the moment, your graphics card is running on Windows basic drivers which only allows 16 colours and a resolution of 640x480.

march 12:08 01 Feb 09

ok MAJ could you tell me how I reinstall the graphic card's drivers please

MAJ 12:15 01 Feb 09

You need to get hold of the drivers, march, you will have them on a CD that came with your computer, but as the computer appears to be fairly old, you might not still have that CD. If that is the case, then you'll need to find out which graphics card you have installed. It could be a standalone card or it could be a graphics chip on the motherboard. To find out, download and run SIW click here it will tell you. Let us know and someone will point you in the right direction.
What is the make and model of your computer, the manufacturer might have the drivers on their website, if they're still around.

march 12:56 01 Feb 09

maj sorry about the delay but pc froze & had to go through diagnostic start up again!

your rightpc very very old (in process of ordering a new one waiting for firm to get back to me)
according to pc profile summary from belarc advisor under display it reads
intel (r) 810 chipset graphics driver 4.11.01.2555(display adapter)
is this what I'm looking for?

I still have all discs but would not know where to look on them or how to install driver I'm afraid.

thank you for your patience
march

march 14:21 01 Feb 09

wil tick this as resolved & start new subject for graphics card

thanks MAJ for your help

march

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…