windows problem

mcleod100 17:07 08 Nov 05

my laptop cant boot up unless i use the recovery cd. the problem is that i will lose all my files as it has told me so and doesnt give me any other choices.
is there any thing i can do to save my files/

many thanks for your help

mcleod100

De Marcus™ 17:29 08 Nov 05

Try to give us an exact exlpanation of what happens when you switch on, it'll help pinpoint the problem your having.

mcleod100 21:21 09 Nov 05

hi de marcus,

my laptop tries to boot up then it after a few secs i get a message saying DISK ERROR

woodchip 21:30 09 Nov 05

You could try Boot discs, six for XP. click here Scroll down

mcleod100 12:29 19 Dec 05

hello woodchip and de marcus,

been away for a while. thanks for replies. my laptop doesnt have floppy disk facility therefore cant download disks.

have tried recovery disks. they seem to be working but they still dont give me the facility to keep all my existing work/files. they will wipe everything if i reinput xp pro system.

anything else up your sleeve!

rgds tom

De Marcus™ 12:32 19 Dec 05

Do you have any means of backing your work up? I.e. a cd/dvd-rw drive, flash drive, external ard drive?

mcleod100 14:44 19 Dec 05

I cant back up my work because it wont boot up and let me on

woodchip 15:28 19 Dec 05

only way to get to your work without loosing it, is buy a xp disc and do a repair with it. as restore disc will wipe your drive back to when you bought the computer

Mytob 15:31 19 Dec 05

if you have another pc download and burn slax onto a cd click here . that will boot you into a linux desktop and hopefuly if your hd or partition are not fubar you can retreve your work and put it on a pen drive. i highly recomend backing up all work on a regular basis to cd or pendrive as it prevents desasters like this happening!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

iPhone 7 review: a range of small updates add up to an excellent phone

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How New York’s Stylin’ Seniors became a golden social media campaign

23 Apple Watch tips & secret features: Master your Apple Watch, Apple Watch Series 1 or Apple…