windows pro 2000 boot up problem

Raj2002 01:09 21 Mar 04

Hi, i'm running windows pro 2000 it's been running fine no problems. Had to replace the motherboard recently, connected everthing up again. But when i tried starting it, it started up fine and then showed me blue error screen. The screen showed the stop error Inaccessible_boot_device. Indicating the new hardware device should be removed, but in this case it is inpossible for the hardware to be removed.

Is there any way i can get the pc up and running windows pro 2000, without reformatting the harddrive for a clean setup.

gudgulf 01:25 21 Mar 04

Replacing the mobo is really one job where a reformat and clean reinstall is not merely the best but realistically the only way to go!

Don't want to sound pessimistic here but unless you have used an identical mobo and are very lucky your old installation will almost certainly lead to more problems than it's worth.

Take the plunge and start from scratch.

gudgulf 01:25 21 Mar 04

Replacing the mobo is really one job where a reformat and clean reinstall is not merely the best but realistically the only way to go!

Don't want to sound pessimistic here but unless you have used an identical mobo and are very lucky your old installation will almost certainly lead to more problems than it's worth.

Take the plunge and start from scratch.

temp003 03:16 21 Mar 04

A format and clean install would be best, but if your data are still on the hard disk and you haven't done a thorough backup, you can do a repair installation, which will redetect your hardware and install new drivers for your motherboard components.

This will preserve your data and programs. But after the repair installation you will need to reapply all Windows updates (since your CD version).

Boot up computer with your w2k CD. When w2k Setup screen appears, press Enter to go into Setup. F8 to accept agreement. It will then detect your existing Windows installation, usually C:\WINNT. Highlight that and press R to repair existing installation and follow the prompts.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…