asterias 17:06 PM 03 Jul 13

My OS is XP Prof'.Suddenly,for no apparnet reason,every time I switch on,after XP has loaded,a pop-up appears entitled "Files Needed" saying "The file L8042Kbd.sys on Setpoint Driver Disk is needed.Type the path where the file is located then click OK".I've no idea what this means or what the PC is talking about.I always cancel the pop-up and Windows then carries on unaffected as usual. How can I disable this continual request?

Chronos the 2nd 17:24 PM 03 Jul 13

Do you have a Logitech mouse or keyboard?

asterias 17:39 PM 03 Jul 13

No,I have a USB wired Microsoft mouse & keyboard.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18:34 PM 03 Jul 13

It appears to be finding newhardware on start and trying to load the driver files.

Try looking in device manager for anything with an exclamation against it.

woodchip 19:00 PM 03 Jul 13

The pop-up is being driven by Regedit, go to run then type Regedit go to under Edit in the Menu, type name the file L8042Kbd.sys press enter delete what it find then press F3 to find more and so on till you get to the end.

When you start the Search click on the My Computer Icon at the top of Regedit so it starts search from Root

woodchip 19:01 PM 03 Jul 13

Under Edit you will see Find click on that

iscanut2 22:46 PM 03 Jul 13

Chronos the 2nd is on the right track. L8042kbd.sys with description Logitech PS2 Keyboard Filter Driver. is a driver file from company Logitech, Inc. belonging to product Logitech SetPoint. Have you ever had a Logitech hardware item ? Can you see if this driver is in the services and if so, can you disable it ?

rdave13 00:19 AM 04 Jul 13

Another way is to open device manager, select the view tab, select 'show hidden devices, expand 'keyboards' and see if a logitech driver there, then expand 'mice and other pointing devices' and check there.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to watch Rugby World Cup 2015 online: Watch live, catch up on-demand & stream the 2015 Rugby…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

See immersive artist and storyteller Chris Milk speak at London VR event

What everyone thinks of the new Steve Jobs movie | 21 Facts about the Steve Jobs film | PLUS:…