Windows Photo Viewer can't open this picture becau

GBL 09:50 AM 02 Feb 11
Answered

I am using Win 7. I have recently transferred my Photo's onto DVD from and external drive.As far as I know they are all JPG files. Now I find that I keep getting this message when I try to view the photo's,

Windows Photo Viewer can't open this picture because either Photo Viewer doesn't support this file format, or you don't have the latest updates to Photo Viewer

I have done an sfc/scannow, but that has failed to solve the problem as no faults were found.

Is there a solution or do I have to revert back to my old PC running on XP pro.

northumbria61 15:22 PM 02 Feb 11

Change which programs Windows uses by default

A default program is the program that Windows uses when you open a particular type of file, such as a music file, an image, or a webpage. For example, if you have more than one web browser installed on your computer, you can choose one of them to be the default browser.

Open Default Programs by clicking the Start button, and then clicking Default Programs.

In Default Programs, you can:

Set your default programs. Use this option to choose which programs you want Windows to use by default. If you want to use your Windows Live Photo Gallery,Photo Gallery,or Photo Viewer to open all photos, use this option.

Try this

Right click on any of the images, open properties, click Change.

2. In ‘Open with’ window, open Other Programs and select Windows Photo Viewer as default program to open with.

3. Click Ok, all your images will open in Windows default photo viewer.

northumbria61 15:24 PM 02 Feb 11

Should have read - "Alternatively" before "Try this"

GBL 19:43 PM 02 Feb 11

I did that but don't have many programs to choose from, any suggestions??

northumbria61 22:29 PM 02 Feb 11

You could download and install Picasa which an excellent alternative to view your pictures. I have it installed for several years now - it allows you to upload albums to the Web - email - print - and other features. I can certainly recommend it.
Download here click here

northumbria61 22:33 PM 02 Feb 11

Don't forget to watch the video in that LINK for Picasa.

GBL 22:36 PM 02 Feb 11

Thanks will look at it in the morning.

Take care.

SparkyJack 08:23 AM 03 Feb 11

This will open virtually all graphics files and switch them between formats as you will.
It does not edit as such though it does ave a useful pre sized print option

click here

GBL 09:25 AM 03 Feb 11
Answer

That is brilliant thanks SparkyJack
Take care.

Advertisement

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get free stuff for Android: Amazon Underground offers genuinely free Android apps and free…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Swedish schoolkids use Minecraft to redesign Stockholm city centre

Apple's special event invitations decoded: A look back at 13 of Apple's most cryptic invites